Moment of Mental Clarity

• 20 replies
  • 47 subscribers

This cancer journey is certainly an emotional roller coaster. As I sat on the loo last night, waiting for the final shart of that session, having struggled to walk there and feeling sorry for myself, I had a small road to Damascus moment. Since I have had clots in my lungs I have been on blood thinners, which meant I had to stop my anti inflamatories, leaving me in more chronic pain than usual. Therefore I have just started on Co codamol which is OK (not as good as the diclofenac) but makes me a bit nauseous and woozy at times. I have osteoarthritis in my lower spine and knees (I am obese) which is the source of my chronic pain.

Anyway mentally I have been struggling to get back to normal as despite the chemo finishing in July I remain tired, short of breath and constantly knackered. It occurred to me last night (on the loo) that I am actually incurable and that I have been struggling and failing to get back to a pre cancer normal. I need to be kinder to myself and change my thought processes accordingly. This might be obvious to others but for example, when I go to the park and totter a few yards with my walking stick I should be celebrating the fact that I can still walk rather than beating myself up about the fact that it is only a few yards. Ditto I can't stand for long enough to cook a full meal for my family but I can sit at a table and peel and prep veggies and shout instructions from my sofa (I am sure they appreciate the advice). Also I can't garden as I used to but I can plant spring bulbs.The list goes on. I need to view it as more glass half full stuff and less glass half empty. 

So there it is, just a small change in mind set, I am actually sick, I do have incurable cancer, and any activity achieved is a good thing and I should be pleased with myself and not beat myself up with what I can't do any more. It doesn't change what I do but I feel as though a weight has been lifted from me. I just wanted to share  in case there are others out there who have unconsciously been beating themselves up over their 'failures' and not celebrating their achievements sufficiently. It is so easy to be self critical and less easy to be kind to ourselves. It needs to be practiced.

• Hi Nicky Nosher, 

Just read your post and found it similar to me on many levels. I came to terms with my (cancer) situation quite quickly although it`s a different story for my wife & adult children. I look and feel fine when I`m sitting down but various activities, not necessarily strenuous ones leave me in pain, exhausted and short of breath. Coming to terms with the change in your physical ability is harder to accept, I know it is for me. My wife has been a rock since my diagnosis and is always telling me to take things easy and pace myself but I put the "guilty hat" on and try to help about the house like I used to. For example, yesterday while she was at work, I decided to help out by putting the washing on and subsequently hanging it out. Bad move, when I finished (just) my back was really sore and was quite breathless. After some painkillers and a good rest, I started feeling better but got some choice words from my wife when she got back from work. I am slowly getting there but accepting I have limited ability now after being active in so many ways since I was a boy is not easy.

Nicky, thanks for sharing your "moment of mental clarity" and I`m sure it will help other people to possibly re-evaluate their own journey with this heinous disease.

Take care & stay safe,  Tom. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi  your post seems to have struck a chord with a lot of people in our group. I remember a discussion about what 'quality of life' means to us, and several people, myself included, said that it had changed as we dealt with set backs, side effects, disease progression....and so on.

I agree with  there's a grieving process for the life we had or expected to have, and   it's hard to adjust to all the changes that are imposed on us and see our choices and activities deminishing. I had my lightbulb moment after an emergency admission to hospital with pleurisy and pneumonia which my Consultant said should have finished me off. When I recovered enough to be able to engage with the people around me I knew that that was my line in the sand. I realised that I wasn't going to get better so that I could go back to work or return to previous levels of fitness but to spend as much time with family and friends as possible. I started to see the 'sofa days' as days in the bank rather than wasted days. I'm grateful for all the treatment I've had and am still having but I'm no longer going to agree to treatment that makes me so ill I can barely function.

You're right  it takes practice Wink xx

• Hello Tina, Nicky, YoungMan and all contributors to this thread.

I had a small op today and on going through my paperwork the consultant said I seemed very pragmatic about my condition.

I said that's because I don't believe what has happened to me. I am not in denial I just can't believe it.

I remember 3 years ago in front of the oncologist when he said " 8 months to a year" my wife was screaming and crying but I didn't take it in then and I stil cannot take it in now.

I am as odd as my fellow posters have often suggested, I think so!,

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Norberry

Hi  I agree, that’s different from denial, it’s just that some of your posts are so insightful, where does that empathy come from?

Hope that op does what it’s meant to . xx

• Some of my posts Tinalay?, thats damming with faint praise, thats you off the Christmas list!

I just love looking through peoples posts hunting for good news and it makes me so happy when there is a success story to celebrate.

Equally I get really upset when I see people struggling with their illness and also struggling to find the help they should be getting.

I did have to stop posting for a while when we were losing Daloni on top of all the good ones who also passed around the same time.

I was just crying at night and obviously I wasn't right and selfishly needed a break. I know others have done the same thing after having got themselves in a pickle as I did.

I think that the empathy you have alluded to is, I would think, that something everyone on here has a huge degree of. When you look at the outpouring of advice, sympathy, etc, that you see when a new member throws themselves into this forum just hoping for a kind word, they get a tidal wave of support and I know from my experience it can be a lifesaver.

I love my hormone  treatment, it allows me to blub and post as above, I am sure if I still had testosterone, I would not be associating myself with such wokeish  waffle!

Now that's going to get me into trouble, I didn't mean it at all. My bit of painful treatment yesterday should allow me to avoid censure for the above.

Minor neck nerve block, last bit of hospital this year I hope.

Thanks Tinalay for your sweet reason as always. ( Boris latest Brexit sound bite)

Xxx    

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Norberry

haha, the other ones are funny so it's all good Wink

I took a long break earlier this year, too many losses and so much sad news, it goes with the territory but it's  heartbreaking. I remember  saying he'd never cried so many tears for people he hadn't met. I don't  think it's selfish to look after yourself, I think it's essential. Remember the instructions, "put the oxygen mask on your own face first".....

I remember being overwhelmed by the amount of support here the first time I posted. There's so much common ground and a level of understanding I haven't found anywhere else. So even if you haven't taken it in you're here offering support, sympathy, advice, whatever's needed. And sometimes just being batshit crazy and giving us all a good laugh.

xx

• Where are the libel moderators when you need them

Oh, of course it doesn't  count when its true.

I realise I spelt  damning wrong, best to own up to it now, it used to be just Gragon who would pick me up on it, now someone has let an English teacher into the inner circle! Welcome G. Things are just not the same now, my a grade English o level will count for nothing.

• Hi Norberry

I wouldn't possibly comment on grammar or spelling errors by our friends in the community, it's rude to take a holier than thou attitude when I am not perfect myself and anyway as long as the intended message is communicated, that's fine.

I had a fantastic A level French teacher who highlighted French grammar and spelling errors in essays. He was also as strict regarding English grammar and spelling errors in French to English translations. I wish my bone idle English teacher had been as caring 25 years earlier in school. 

Its so good of you to correct yourself concerning the misspelling of damning. You come across as being horrified by that, just as I am when I reread a post that I have published in which there's a glaring spelling error, however you've been so fixed on that misspelling that unfortunately you have not noticed that the preceding word is missing an apostrophe and should read that's. In addition, you have also left out the same apostrophe in the same word in the same sentence. Since we're in the enlightening mood Norberry, the first that's should begin with a capital letter because it follows a question mark which is really a decorated full stop. The same applies to an exclamation mark. 

Sorry, Norberry, but I know you care. As I have said, it's all about getting the message across anyway. I wonder if I am also off this year's Christmas list, and next year's too, for that matter?

Tvman

Love life and family.
  • Hi 

It's lovely to see you posting again. I know that things aren't great with you currently. When is your next scan? I want to make sure that I wish you good luck before you go.

I also remember the overwhelming support I received when I first opened the door of this group. Unfortunately there are a few names that no longer are with us which is heartbreaking but it comes with the territory, doesn't it? 

Take care and stay safe Tinalay

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Tvman, I just knew you would be on my case, I have masochistic tendencies I am sure because as I was reading my bashing up I felt little surges of pleasure!

You are right though, it does bother me a bit, I am just so lazy with my proof reading.

You are OK for this years Christmas list but I think I will fail to be on my own list next year according to the odds and my onco!

Always nice to hear from you, get those winter veggies in!