The positive side of a terminal diagnoses

• 5 replies
  • 42 subscribers

If this helps anyone great , if it upsets anyone I apologise in advance.

I had kidney cancer in 2018 and a lump removed then a second op to take the rest of the kidney. First 6 month check up in July 2019 and its in my spine and suddenly I'm terminal. My world flipped on its head my wife and family distraught and no idea what to do.

Luckily 12 months later I am still here, I now have two bars in my back and next week and I will having 3 vertebrae and hopefully the worst tumour removed. The tumour is leaning on my spinal column and threatening to paralyse me. They then put a cage in opposite the bars to stop me folding up.

During the last 12 months I have been able to put life in order, Spend so much valuable time with my wife and I have looked at the chances I have got that the person that dies suddenly doesn't have and the things other will have to suffer through that I won't

I will never get dementia, having lost relatives to it I always feared it happening to me.

I have been able to put all the family finances in order as I always managed them and pass them over to my wife so she won't have try to figure it out whilst grieving

She knows all my wishes for my funeral as we have discussed them, songs , style of funeral cars etc etc

We have sat up till 4am a few nights remembering the past and laughing like two kids on a sleep over

These are the precious things that someone taken instantly doesn't get to do. 

Yes being told at 55 you are terminal stinks but there are some things it gives you that are invaluable, how many times have you heard someone say, "if i had only had the chance to say xxxxxx"  now you do 

• Hi Remoh

I thank you for posting this, though i did get choked.

I hope i can have  think this way in making decisions , i lost my hubby before Christmas with this disease he was my strength and rock, though on reflection his was a short journey and we both never had time to put things in place, at times i wish we had spoke about it, but we never got time.

I wish you well and your wife, a special couple.

Take Care Ellie xx

• sorry to hear about your hubby. Some of this came to me as I lost two brothers in law in 8 months around the time of my original diagnosis. Both got told they only had 12 weeks both only lived around 12 weeks. Both talked constantly about what they were going to do in the future and didn't accept the situation. Both their wives struggled with the loss and grief that was inevitable and both had to sort everything else out. So when I got my terminal diagnosis I was determined to make as many positives from whatever time i had.

Richard

be safe, be nice, be you 

• That was my case hubby did every thing money wise, no pass words written down, took me ages to sort out, so much stress,Never thought he was going first, i got diagnosed two and half years before him, so he could have managed, not sure about the cooking though.

I was coming up 24th DEC to finish treatment, he got diagnosed on the 20th we had a Holiday planned for the April but was not meant to be. really thought i would go first and i did not deal with paper work, or the garden or decorating.

Though i have sorted a lot out, by you putting a lot in place takes some of the stress from your wife which is a good thing.

I am sure if he had know how quick his was going to be he would have done the same, in fact i know he would. He always thought of me first.

He always said if i went he would sell this house, no cleaning and buy a wienie bagoo and travel, and i believe he would have done, he was a hgv driver and loved it.

With every thing in place you can enjoy time together, and stay up as late as you want.

Its a funny life in many ways, and at times you deal with it the best you can, and you and your wife can now enjoy time together and make lots of memories together.

Take Care Elliexx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

what a very wise post. It brings me back to the serenity prayer. 

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference. 

I think it’s a very useful prayer for anyone, but especially for those of us facing a life limiting illness. 

I have similarly used some of my time to put my affairs in order, plan my funeral and let my dearest and nearest know how much I love them by writing them cards. It’s been a privilege and now means I can leave in peace 

xx Daloni 

• Lovely to write cards I think I may do this as some things are hard to say in person xx

Ruth