Update

• 5 replies
  • 43 subscribers

HI all

Just a quick update - had my mid-treatment scan last week to see if treatment would continue and saw consultant face to face yesterday with several sleepless nights in between worrying about results.   The consultant was hoping that the chemo would slow down the tumours growth/spread (they had grown 20% in a few weeks) but she said that it was good news the tumours in my liver and lungs are showing "good shrinkage" not sure what that means in terms of size but I'll take it!   So I have been signed off to have the remaining 3 treatments every 21 days from tomorrow and then another scan.   

No treatment plan after that and 6 cycles of this combo are the maximum you can have so trying hard to enjoy the good news and stay in the day rather than worrying about what happens next - not easy when you are a born worrier.....

Hope everybody is coping with the heat - really hot and stuffy today on the south coast and the main roads have been at a standstill with queues of people trying to get through the forest to Bournemouth and the beach - from the pictures of the seafront social distancing seems to have left the building.   

Luckily our village is off the beaten track so quiet here as usual - the only excitement we have ever had was after the Salisbury poisonings when our neighbour's house was decontaminated and we had a village full of helicopters, news teams and men in NBC suits ... (he was the Policeman who was ill if you saw the tv drama).

Love to all xx

Deb1E

• Hi , I am glad you’re out of the waiting for results phase, and had good news about carrying forward and shrinking tumours. I’ve had good MRI results today as well, then fell asleep this afternoon probably catching up. It was hot here to, last year we bought a portable air conditioning unit, as we were going to do it the year before and regretted not doing so, and it went on last night for the first time this year, it was just too hot to sleep. 

I do remember all those Salisbury reports, I bet that brought the wrong type of excitement to the village. I was also thinking that will be jealous that your consultation was face to face instead of by phone. 

I hope staying in the day is working for you and that you did something you enjoyed today.

take care

Take care KT

• You were right of course KTatHome, I did read Deb1Es post and felt a frisson of jealousy but I was so pleased for her bit of good news that my own smaller difficulty has just evaporated in the heat!

I was just having a little moment that got over exaggerated, got knows why I posted so much rubbish. I think I am just so good at it.

Just fed the badgers, now in bed with rubbish netflix film!

• Hi KTaTHome

Pleased to hear that you had good results too.  A little kick up the a*** for cancer.

An air conditioning unit sounds heaven we have a couple of portable fans but you have to be pretty close to really get any benefit.  It's supposed to be even hotter today but I'm at the hospital most of the day having chemo so hopefully the hospital will have it's air-con on full blast especially as we now have to wear face masks all the time.  Don't know how the staff do it especially wearing visors as well.

I think its fair to say the village wasn't happy - the worst part was the interviewers wandering round with mikes trying to get "locals" to talk to them.  For a couple of days we went through a gap in our neighbours hedge to get onto the lane behind to avoid them.... !

On the appointment front - it may be a coincidence but I did some digging around about my cancer only to find there hasn't been any detailed research (probably because it is rare), prognosis is poor and there doesn't appear to be any second/third line treatments in place after the current chemo ends so I had a long list of questions which the doctor who called on my last telephone appointment said she would pass on to my consultant.  

Whatever the reason I know I was lucky to have a face to face appointment - apart from signing the consent forms for treatment all my other appointments (including my diagnosis) have been by telephone and not always with my own consultant.  Hopefully Covid 19 is on the retreat and things will soon get back to normal - whatever that is xx

Carpe Diem
    Deb1E
  • Hi Deb 1E,

I was pleased to read, that you have had a good result with the treatment you are having. It really is such a relief to receive that type of news. Living in the day is a good idea, as this is what I try to do. My belief is that I cannot do anything other than try to get on with living one way or the other.

I hope that the last three treatments go well for you.

Take care, Georgette x 

• Hi , I love the thought of you all squeezing through the hedge, I think that would have been my tactic too.

It certainly is hot today, we haven’t really used our garden much in the past few years, but I noticed today my husband is researching gazebos, we are a red headed family and retreat from the sun. I don’t like the heat in the summer I’ve had a cold hot water bottle and a gel cooling scarf previously. The aircon uses a tube out of the window like a tumble drier, I can imagine that it’s not too eco friendly but it certainly cools things down much better than our previous fans, and is on wheels to move it to different rooms, and has a remote control to switch it off from bed, or adjust the temperature settings, it makes the unbearable comfortable. 

I am glad you said a bit more about your treatment, I was going to ask, but chickened out as yours was primarily a good news story. I was wondering why only 6 treatments, or if that’s as far as they explain, to give some focus before they move on to the possible next steps. When I started my first treatment I was told average time for treatment working was nine months, and I wasn’t aware of any thing after that until at month 7 a new treatment came on to the NHS, so I know I’ve been very lucky.  Some immunotherapy treatments are limited in number so I was wondering if that was the case for you. I hope you get your many questions answered and are able to have peace processing what ever the replies might be.

Hospital visits in the summer I’ve found are sometimes a lot cooler than in the winter when the heat is belting it out because it’s cold outside, but at least you can then take your cardigan off, so it’s all relative I suppose. Masks are a different manner, I had 40 mins of waiting while wearing one, followed by 30 mins in an MRI being told when to breath in and out and hold your breath and felt quite weak after all that. The last treatment it was nice to have a drink of water and release the mask for a while. I hope your hospital day goes smoothly for you.

Take care KT