Dexamethasone Steriod Psycosis

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Hello everyone and thanks for accepting my request.

I was diagnosed with stage 3C metastasized ovarian cancer in December 2018.

I started chemo in Feb 2019 (delayed due to having severe sepsis) I was too weak for monthly chemo and had it weekly instead. My oncologist noticed that after id taked the oral dexamethasone 6 hours hours after chemo i was very hyper, so i was told not to take it in future.

Fast forward to my second cycle which started in May this year, i immediately went down hill mentally follwing my first chemo session. My oncologist said that id been given a massive dose of dexamethasone pre-chemo via IV. 

The problem is that its been 6 weeks now and it doesn't seem to wearing off.

I literally went from being normal and happy considering the circumstances to severly depressed, extremely anxious and irritable, no interest in life, suicidal thoughts, terrible nerves and crying.

I was wondering if anyone else had had this kind of reaction and how long it had lasted. Ive shut myself of from my family and life for 6 weeks now, ive just been in bed hiding.

I was prescribed antidepressants before the cancer, and my Dr switched them to Mirtazapine when I phoned her and told her how dreadful i felt, but it hasn't help one bit.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Welcome to the community although I am sorry you qualify to join our exclusive group of incurables. I am sorry to hear about the problem that brings you here. 

I can only talk about my own experience, point out I’m not a doctor and stress the importance of you talking to your own doctors. So having said all that...

I had chemo first in 2014 after being diagnosed with grade 3c2 serous womb cancer. The steroids turned me into a hell hound. My husband brought back pink roses and I would cry because he knew I only liked yellow. Or vice versa. I was very depressed and likely to snap at the kids or indeed anyone who had the misfortune to come within striking distance.

I realised I couldn’t go on when I was hiding under the duvet one day and my husband said to me that I should just look forward to our family holiday. I couldn’t. All I could think was let the family go and I’ll just stay under the duvet. 

That was when I went to my GP who diagnosed anxiety and depression and gave me, yes you’ve guessed it, mirtazapine. I didn’t find it particularly helpful at the time although in retrospect it may have been more useful than I thought. I took it for about a year than decided I didn’t want a crutch anymore. 

I don’t remember how long the steroid madness lasted, just that I came out of it at some point. 

I have to say that what you’re going through sounds very distressing. I think worse than I went through although maybe you have more insight than I did. 

I am now on chemo for the fourth time and with it the steroids. I don’t seem to have quite the same reaction these days. They give me energy for a day or so but not the madness. 

I hope this helps. It can be a lonely place to be feeling the way you describe. I hope you’ll find that things change with time and that you feel less alone for sharing your story. 

With love and hugs xxx

• Hi, I just wanted to welcome you to the group. I've never had chemo or the drugs you mention but just wanted to say I'm sure others with experience of these will reply in due course. Good luck!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi

Lovely to meet you but I really wish we had met elsewhere. 

Sorry to hear that you are going through a rough time. I have a rare blood cancer which was diagnosed in March 2015 and like Annette, I haven't had chemo or the meds you are taking.

I have had antidepressants, though not Mirtazapine. I was given them when just 4 months after diagnosis, I was diagnosed with a spinal condition that means I can't stand or walk, only for very small periods of time so outside of the house I need a wheelchair.

I started to have hallucinations about 3 months ago, mostly when waking from a sleep or a short nap. Not nice at all, quite frightening. I hope you can find your way out of your present circumstances.

Take care and stay safe Rubyjane.

Tvman x

Love life and family.
  • Hi RubyJane,

Wishing you a warm welcome to this very friendly group.

I had dexamethasone,4 years ago each time via the canula before the chemo,but must admit I had no problems with apart from the fact that it stopped me sleeping for the first few days. i suppose like all drugs we are all effected differently & maybe the doses are different for each person.

Hopefully these side effects will pass eventually, although maybe you should try and contact your Oncologist again & let them know how you are feeling.

Take care,

Georgette x

• , Hi and welcome!

I was on Dexa for a while after my brain surgery, and i can tell you it did change me alot, i did become very aggressive and angry ( poor hubby) i could not sleep but eat all the time weird things. But the worse has been coming of it, very very slowly, that's important, but it was like falling in a big hole!!!

Pet