Bubbles

• 20 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Well we have been "shielding", but then let out for the occasional walk, and now "unshielded"  ( "normal ") single people can  create their social bubbles of one other from the weekend. The language of this pandemic is worthy of a PhD of its own - social distancing ( which means physical distance), shielding ( meaning staying at home), staying alert,and so on, and now social bubbles. Now most of us on here are supposed to continue to stay home till at least the end of June, but I have decided that my daughter who lives 50 miles away can be my social bubble companion next weekend for my birthday. She is self isolating ( another new term to the language!) so by time she comes here she will have done so for 14 days. I have told her I may follow her around with a bleach spray, but it will be so nice to see her after 5 months of absence. I am weighing the risks, and I am happy to see her for a couple of days. She is a bit paranoid, and says doesn't want me being seen off by a virus instead of incurable cancer! My life, my choice.  Anyone else considering how they are going to deal with social bubbles?

• You Re right about the language it all seems a bit fidiculous jargon 

out will be good for some isolated people to meet up with others and will help my son and my brother who live in flats on their own.

we will continue the same for now we have been home for 3 months now me and my husband except for walks 

Ruth 

•  Hi, Well here in Scotland we have 1 week to go of Phase1! We can go out but no more than 5 miles from home. We can now meet someone not from our household as long as it is outdoors and we keep our social distance. My sister is coming over today (Thur) in the afternoon, weather permitting and we will have coffee/tea in the garden. I'm looking forward to it. I know we are supposed to stay at home until the end of June but I think as long as we social distance outdoors and don't go to busy Shops it is a personal decision. I hope you enjoy having your daughter stay (I take it she is staying with you?!) and it lifts yours and your daughters spirits!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Dear all , and .

Here in California, we are in phase 1 where we can go out and get a takeout dinner, Interestingly there have not been mileage linked to that. We are encouraged to use local parks but do not think we would be locked in the slammer if we went 10 or 20 miles out.

I do think it is important to the soul to have a person in person to talk to. It can get very lonely when your TV shows become friends. Good to socialize wear masks and distance. In some states people are "shamed" when others wear masks. I'm waiting for Darwin to correct this.

Hugs to all,

Millie

• Hi and

I'm in Northern Ireland and the "social bubbles" idea doesn't apply to our household but as soon as the words were spouted from he who must be obeyed, I immediately thought it was unfair and ill conceived because as I understand only one grandparent can go to see a grandchild but then can return to the other grandparent. 

I also thought of my good friend Annette and how unjust the idea is. Perhaps I have misheard/misinterpreted it however that changed when I read 's Annette's post and realised it doesn't apply to her (nor me thankfully) because to decide which grandparent is unfair and upsetting although Vince would, I think, step aside and give way to Annette which is probably what I would do also for my wife. To have that pressure to give visiting rights is unreasonable and partisan for my English friends, I hope we in Northern Ireland nor in Wales nor Scotland, won't be subjected to the same inequitable choice. 

Good morning , I had a short note flash up on my screen that you have posted something about the nightshift. I shall read it but don't know if I can stay awake long enough to reply because I have been dropping off and making errors in the last few minutes.

Take care everyone and stay safe

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Hi Millie

Good evening to you, we have posted at the same time and I agree with what you say, it's 3am here and my eyelids are closing frequently. I'll have a proper read later. 

Goodnight Millie

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Good morning Everyone! @Tvman, I actually have no idea what this "bubble" thing means. Reading this post does this mean they are trying to say only one grandparent is allowed at a time to see their grandchildren? Is this while keeping their social distance or are they allowed close to their grandchildren? Anyway, Ive got to say honestly, if they did try to implement this in Scotland, I would not be having any of it! As far as i am awarem they can advise but surely they cannot force the issue. To be honest, both of us have seen our two granddaughters every week or so since the Lockdown started. The girls (aged 5&8) had woken crying in the night very distraught, at different times. When our daughter told us we discussed it and decided we would see them in their garden as the weather was good. Our SIL's father died (in his 90's) last November, his mum died a few years ago and the girls asked if we were in heaven too! I wasnt having them upset. Our grandson we see when we meet him and his dad when they go to the local park and play football and my husband joins in while I watch. We keep 2meters distance as our son worries about me, so we wouldnt upset him but still manage to see our grandchildren. Family is all I want in my life! Take care All!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi Annette,

The idea is that people who live on their own or with no other adults, can mix with another household.  If a grandparent lives alone they can see one of their children and any grandchildren living there, two single people could meet or a single parent with their children could go to see a sibling or parents etc.

It is to try and reduce the difficulty for the most isolated.  When together they do not have to social distance but can hug and cuddle so get some physical comfort for the first time in months.  It is all confusing so for me not much is changing.  We did get details of how my son is going to restart school in a couple of weeks.  Two weeks, not consecutive, of four mornings education in maths, english and science as part of a socially distanced class of ten with a teacher.

His clothes will go straight in the wash and he will be straight in the shower when he gets home but it will do him good.

All the best,

Gragon xx

• Hi Annette

Excuse me, I was a little wrong with the bubble. It means that if a person is on their own, they can meet with another household, at a social distance of course, and form a bubble. It only applies to people who live alone and it's aimed at reducing anxiety.

So it wouldn't apply to you and Vince because you're together. Worryingly, if a couple live together with children and if say the husband has one parent living alone and the wife also has one parent living alone, only ONE grandparent can join the family bubble. The husband and wife must make that choice, I wouldn't like it to be me!

I think my wife and I would do exactly the same as you and Vince regarding visiting the grandchildren if they lived a couple of doors away.

Take care and stay safe Annette

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Hi All,

I think the rules in England are confusing to say the least - despite all the talk of "clear messaging". As I understand it, someone living alone, or as a single parent, can now allow another single person , or single parent with associated kids, into their home. They form a social "bubble" and can only form it with that household - so no multiple bubbles. God, am I really using this language? Then within that space they dont have to social distance, so they can hug etc. It seems extraordinary as just makes life seem more unfair, as two grandparents can't officially let a child/ grandchildren into their home, but a single grandparent could. We all know this will not work, and inevitably people will do what they feel is right, and the danger is that it will be right for them but wrong in terms of potential spread of covid. I am glad it has been announced at a personal level as it does allow me to legitimately have my daughter in my house overnight. But I cant let my son in, as that would break the rules. Luckily he lives more locally so we can meet in the garden etc.

Everyone is going to have to take decisions about what they feel they can tolerate and what measures they take. My daughter and I have decided on : separate sofas with more than 2m between us, separate loos ( i am lucky to have two), and I will do the cooking or have a takeaway. We will clean surfaces regularly and wont be hugging, and will spend as much time outside as we can, weather permitting. How that will work in practise we will see. Given I have been isolating in the main since the 22nd March, and she has been isolating since sunday 7th June and we wont see each other until 20th, we are both reasonably confident that we are not a risk to each other. I take the view that no matter what the Govt tells us, we all have to think very carefully for ourselves and if something feels too risky, then don't do it. But I hope it will alleviate some loneliness and distress for some people.