Mouth ulcers

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Hi 

I’m seeking a magic wand that cures mouth ulcers. In its absence, something to ameliorate them would be good. 

I have several large mouth ulcers that are making eating and talking very difficult. I have beeb using Bonjela on the ulcers and a numbing mouth wash. 

Handy hints gratefully received. 

• Hi, I've just replied to The Homecoming! Looks like everyone else is having an early night! Oh I wish it was me!

I tried all the usual over the counter stuff for ulcers too but the relief was short lived. The doctor gave me a spray to use before meals but I'm sorry I can't remember the name of it! Maybe later in the morning, someone else will have some suggestions for you!

I'm off to read my book now! Take Care 

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • And me too Annette Slight smile

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

I doubt it'll be a magic wand, but try the old standby of saltwater sloshing (not necessary to imbibe the sea!). Difflam is oft prescribed for mouth ulcers and seems to work quite well. Although that was in a poll of 5 of usSmile

I remember how unfriendly ulcers can be, hope they calm down soon.

Shirley

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Morning 

Mouth ulcers were a major problem with the previous chemo and I found 3 things that really helped.

SLS free toothpaste. Sodium lauryl sulfate is the ingredient that makes toothpaste foam and can cause irritation. Oral B and Sensodyne do one but there are lots of others.

Difflam oral rinse. The active ingredient is benzydamine hydrochloride, I think it's mainly used for sore throats. Some of the mouthwashes made me gag, but this one gave some relief and made my mouth feel cleaner.

Orabase paste. A bit fiddly and messy but really helped with the bigger ulcers and helped make it easier to eat.

My older sister has an auto immune condition that causes mouth ulcers and when they're really bad she uses Kenalog in Orabase, the active ingredient is triamcinolone acetonide which is a steroid so you'd need to check with your Oncologist or GP.

Hope you find something that helps, mouth ulcerscan be pretty miserable and debilitating.

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi

Thanks - that's really useful. I have the difflam wash already and it does help. It numbs my mouth so I can eat but it also wipes out my taste buds so I can't taste the food. Ho hum. I will seek out the toothpaste and the orabase paste. There is an ulcer on my tongue that is getting close to 1cm and hurts like a thing that hurts a lot. 

I feel for your older sister

xx