Bad news

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 184 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hi gang 
I talked to my today oncologist about the scan on Tuesday and it’s not good news.

The tumours in my lungs are growing and there’s a new growth in the liver.

They think the pain I’m in is caused by growth in the cancer around my kidney. It’s now pressing on a nerve and this (rather than the spine tumour which was last week’s theory) would also explain the numbness in the skin on my thigh.

The team has proposed radiotherapy to the kidney tumour with the aim of giving me some pain control. They (and I) think this is the top priority. 

Beyond that UCLH has no useful trials to offer so my oncologist is contacting Barts, Guys and the Marsden to see if they have anything.

Sorry to bring bad news but I know you like to know.

I’ve been in appalling pain for a few days now and the hospice nurses have been great. I’m now on stronger pain killers to try to bring the pain under control. I’m hoping the next 24 hours will see some change because frankly I can’t go on like this. 

It’s been frightening how quickly I’ve deteriorated. On Monday I was walking the dog. Ok I was struggling but I did it.  Today I’ve been in too much pain to stand long enough to cook dinner. I guess it takes only a small amount of growth to go from not pressing on a nerve to pressing on a nerve.

It feels like I’ve crossed a rubicon here. I’m no longer treatable but not curable. Now it’s the palliative phase. It’s a lot to take in. There have been tears here, from both me and my daughter 

Xxx

• You may find this odd but I am having sympathy bad nights worrying about you lot. I love this forum for what it has done for me and for everyone else but I now have a further family group to worry about!

What you are going through sounds awful but there seems to be slivers of improvement there? I hope they continue.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Norberry

Thanks but don't worry just care that's one of the great things about this group we can come out and say the things we need to without worrying those really close to us and knowing that we all have the ups and the downs and understand them. Its the comments you get back and the things you see on other threads that keep you going. It also helps that we don't actually have to look at all these ailments I look awful today, and often do, so if it ever goes to a video group I want a body stand in. 

Anyway I thought you would be too busy sorting out all your household duties while your wife gets on with her career to be worrying about us lot. You know what the say "A woman's work is never done". Don't forget to put time looking after yourself into the rota she would not like her soldier being neglected. 

We have rain today in the North West which will be good for the gardens. 

Take care all

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Oh ! My poor love. Itchy, speeding, tooth ache in your arms. You’re all at sixes and sevens and still looking for that silver lining. I hope you can find a comfortable place to rest. 

And . Do you have the green light for discharge yet? 

I’ve just had mine and I am going to celebrate by starting a new discussion “the homecoming” 

I am sorry you’re having sympathic bad nights, . I hope you’ll soon be having sympatico good nights instead. 

To be continued....

xx

• Discharge green light, what a result. Do not be saucy to the staff or suggest you are pleased to be going home in case they think you didn't equate your stay to a few nights in the Ritz and give you another sleepover!  (Or non sleepover in your case)

Kids, dog, other relatives now rushing around making things perfect for the homecoming. Make the most of it before reality kicks in and you are back to being a tea and choc demanding nuisance! Not really I am sure........