high risk or no risk

• 5 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Hi friends, I have had terminal cancer for a few years now and I am very happy to say I'm still here to tell  the tale. So we are all aware of the governments strategies about how to cope with this virus, what I'm not sure about is if I come under the high risk category, I ask this for this reason. I took part in the 1st immunotherapy trials at the beatson research department  just over 3 years ago and have had amazing success  as in the tumour on my carotid artery  has lay dormant all this time, no one knows how long it will be like this but I just know i'm still stage 4 terminal but don't have an active tumour "So" can anyone of my fellow sufferers enlighten me with this question Am I  high or low risk.. not that it really matters as i'm  just too scared to venture out, 

Thanks for reading  Loch

• Hi I don't think we have 'chatted' before, so nice to meet you. I suppose I am in a similar position as you. I too attend the Beatson and was diagnosed in 2013 straight to stage4 and was told I had between 5-7 months to live. That was the one and only time I heard the word terminal, as now I say I have incurable cancer! After a few surgeries, I was given the then very new Target Therapy which at that time didn't even have a name but is now called Dabrafenib! I was on it for over 3 years but due to very bad side effects, (cirrhosis of the liver, accelerated osteoarthritis and spinal problems) I had to come off the drug. 

I still go for regular scans but the cancer seems to be at bay! However because of a compromised immune system, I normally catch whatever is going around. Last December a chest infection floored me for 8 weeks, I thought I was on my way out. I have been told by both the oncologist and my GP I am in the high risk group, although I'm not 70 until later this year!

To be honest, if I was you, I'd assume I was high risk and not take any chances, which it sounds as if you are doing anyway. Do you tend to pick up infections easily?

Stay Safe

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi anndanv thanks for the reply, as to this alien growing in my neck which I have had since 2011 , I have had 4 different chemo's raidiotherapy, and radical neck dissection all of which have left me with some side effect or other problems. Since the trial  I done 3 years ago I seem to get everything that going, last year I spent so many times in hospital over the year with pneumonia one bout that put me in ICU for a few weeks it got to a level where if I sneezed I panicked. I was always a fit guy, gym, walking, always active, well with 10 grandkids its hard not to be active eh, I'm 59 years old in 2 days and was told I was terminal in 2016 and like I said in my post, still here to tell the tale. 

Take care and Stay Safe

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to loch

Hi  

Your story is inspiring, it's so good to hear that you're still with us after going through so much.

It sounds like all that treatment has taken it's toll though and as says I would assume that you're high risk.

10 grandchildren! That must be really special. I hope you manage to celebrate your birthday in 2 days in spite of these very challenging times, and that the next one will be in much happier circumstances.

xx

• Hi Tinalay and thanks for your input.myself and partner Jackie are into our 4rth week self isolating and copying fairly well, the only thing I miss in all this is walking with my best buddy Bru a 6yo newfoundland. Iv'e had 2 appointments cancelled due to this virus 1 for a scan and another with my cancer team and that itself is pretty scarey but I feel ok and just looking forward for all this to be over and get on with spoiling my grandkids. Take care  Tinalay and you and yours stay safe

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to loch

Hi

I got halfway through posting this yesterday but got sidetracked (well, actually the dog decided that she couldn’t wait a minute longer for her walk and got my attention by chewing my arm until I put the phone down and picked up her lead). I find I never finished the task. 

The government has defined who is “extremely vulnerable” and set out guidance about how to shield ourselves from the virus if we fall into that group. You can read more here: 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19

If you fall into this group, you can register for support at the link below. This is being shared with, for example, supermarkets who are using it to prioritise home deliveries for vulnerable people. 
    https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable

I got my extremely vulnerable letter from my GP. If you haven’t had one yet you could call your GP to discuss your situation. Even if you’re not officially “extremely vulnerable” it might well be worth reading the shielding advice anyway. It’s designed to help keep us safe. It’s quite extreme - I call it lock down plus. I follow most of it but I refuse to give up dog walking. I’m lucky enough to live in a place I can walk to open countryside from my doorstep and I need this for my physical and mental wellbeing.