great article about the no-man's land after / between treatments

• 7 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Came across a reference to this on the Maggie's website today. GREAT article about how it feels to reach the end of treatment. I think it's written with those who hope to be cured in mind but I think it applies to those of us who are "between treatments", as in have finished one and are then checked up every few months and might / will start treatment again at some point.

After the Treatment Finishes, then What - Dr Peter Harvey, Leeds

https://www.workingwithcancer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/After-the-treatment-finishes-then-what.pdf

Take care of yourselves at this (even more) difficult time...

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi clg03

Thank you for the article, have just finished reading it and understood every word that was written.

I am a watch and wait every three month's it is like you can not get on with your life,i live 3 months at a time

It was such an interesting piece and made sense

Stay well.

Take Care Ellie xx.

"You Never Walk A Lone"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi

I think this should be offered to everyone at the end of treatment. I first read it five years ago and I still revisit it. I wonder if Peter Harvey knows how many people he’s helped over the years? He is a saint. 

xx

• Hi Thanks for the link to this article, it is very relevant here! I have read it before but it's good to read again. I think it may have been posted here before by maybe Daloni or Lass?? Possibly!

Thanks again! Stay Safe!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi, Ellie

Like you... every three months. What a ride, eh?

Really glad you found the article interesting.

Best wishes to you and yours xx

CLG03...
  • Hi, Daloni

I've tried to find Peter Harvey but no luck. This article is well-referenced on all cancer forums (Cancer Research etc) but I had never read it before the day I posted the link. I found it soothing is the only word I can think of. And we can all do with as much soothing as possible.

Best wishes to you

CLG03...
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to clg03

Hi

Yes that’s exactly the right word. Soothing. 

I do feel for you and for Ellie living your lives three months at a time. Can I make a suggestion? Live one day at a time. This day, today, is all we have. No one knows what the future holds. I find concentrating on enjoying the day that’s in front of me a much easier way to live. It’s harder when the day holds pain and discomfort, I grant you. But there’s always something good. That’s why the three good things idea is so helpful. It focuses the mind on those good things 

I hope I haven’t patronised you. It’s hard to judge sometimes what’s helpful and what’s just really annoying. 

My best wishes to you too 

xxx

• Hi, Daloni

Thanks for your message. Yes, one day at a time. Initially, when you're told there is no cure, that's definitely how it was for me. Then, as things settled down in my head, I was able to look beyond, which is part of a "normal" life (to plan to visit my parents, or have visitors, which is no longer an issue... as we can't go anywhere or see anyone, or register for an online course etc). Until the beginning of the year (about three months after the end of chemo and the first post-chemo scan), it felt like there was no point at all in looking further ahead than that day.

Hope COVID is not making your life too difficult. I am lucky not to be completely stuck indoors, so I'm enjoying the amazing weather (within the limits we're given, but so grateful that chemo is not now...).

Take care :-)

CLG03...