ANXIOUS

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 43 subscribers

In 2017 I was diagnosed Uterine Leiomyosarcoma  I had mets to lungs in May 2018 then surgery in August and then again in December  for lung mets .So then 12 week follow ups then in May 2019 no evidence  of disease.In September 2019 CT and PET  showed that cancer was back again this time in my chest 10cm mass around my aeorta and thorax also in right lung .Obviously I was gutted .This Cancer is so aggresive and unpredictable.Aftet speaking  with my Oncologist he explained surgery would probably not be an option but would await a response from my thorasic surgeon who then agreed that it was not possible .So in November I had a course of  pallative Raiotherapy to try and shrink and sliwn down .In December It showed some shrinkage and scan was ok.After seeing my Oncologist last  week Xray showed another area within my right lung of concern so I am now awaiting  a scan ti give more detail hopefully .My breathing has become worse and a cough has developed so now on Steriods to help .I feel totally deflated and only recently went back to work but I am to exhausted  constantly .I know my prognosis was not great but I feel like I am on limbo .Do I stop work and make the most of the time I have?   I worry about finances also .I am anxious about waiting for my scan and results .Really uncertain with it all right now .I appologise for my long ramble but just needed to do it .

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Oh  I'm so sorry to hear this. No wonder you feel gutted after going through so much, and in limbo.

It's impossible to make any decisions without all the information you need, but completely understandable that everything is going round and round in your mind.

Regardless of scan results how you feel is more important.

If you're exhausted with worsening breathing and cough it sounds like work is too much for your already depleted resources, and you need to concentrate on taking very good care of yourself.

I've recently given up work after a second emergency admission to hospital in 6 months, and my family are so relieved. It's not what I would have chosen, but I'm hoping to make good use of the time.

The Macmillan helpline can help with financial advice and also offer support at this really difficult time.

Other members of the forum will give you really good advice for dealing with the anxiety.

I hope you won't have too long to wait for your scan and results, please keep in touch, you've come to the right place xx

• Hi ,

So sorry to meet you here but I hope that you will find the group very supportive and helpful.

If you have not done so already can I suggest that you contact the Macmillan helpline on 0808 808 0000 and talk to them about your situation.  They are excellent at giving you space to talk about your worries and being able to support you.  You can also ask to speak to a financial advisor who can explain your retirement options depending upon what type of pension scheme you are in and also assist you In claiming the benefits you are entitled to.  You are probably entitled to PIP and this can be fast tracked by getting a DS1500 completed which avoids the requirement for assessment interviews.  At my hospital the Macmillan nurse assisted me with this and it was straightforward. 

PIP is not means tested so can be paid out whilst you are working.  The DS1500 form applies if the oncologist thinks that your condition is such that you might die within 6 months.  This is not a prognosis so try not to worry too much about it and many of us on the site have been on it long enough to go through the renewal process which happened every three years, some more than once.

Whilst it should not depend upon finances it is impossible to ignore them when considering what to do next.  If I had reduced my hours before retiring it could have reduced the pension payments I was entitled to.

Once I had sorted out my finances I found that I could afford to retire and at that point it became an easy decision for me.  I was putting all my energy into work at the cost of not being there for my family as I would come home from work and fall asleep almost straight away.  Now I am home when my son gets home from school, get to cook dinner for my family and can visit friends during the day (if they are available).  I still keep in contact with my friends from work and meet up every couple of weeks with one of them who has subsequently retired herself.

In the longer term for support you could also ask your GP or oncology team to refer you to Macmillan and you would then be able to meet someone face to face on a regular basis.

Don't worry about rambling on, your post was not a long one compared to many others including loads of my own.  There is a whole wealth of experience in this group in all sorts of areas.  We also manage to have a laugh on occasion and enjoy sharing each others successes and achievements.

Could I also suggest that you copy your post above into your profile (click on your name at the top right of the page and then click on edit profile.  You can come back and change your profile as often as you like).  This will stop you having to explain your situation every time you make a new post.  You can read anyone's profile by clicking on their username were it is highlighted.

I know that many others will arrive soon to offer additional support and advice.

love and hugs,

Gragon xx

• Hello AliN

I am sorry you find yourself here. Do you have family and friends who can help you, be there when you need someone and help with hospital visits etc? It's a difficult time, be kind to yourself. Leaving work may not necessarily be permanent, but perhaps your body and mind need the time to rest.

Take care, xx

Flowerlady x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Gragon

Thanks so much for your advice and support I think talking to others who are experiencing similer thoughts or feelings helps.I have a very supportive husband and family who want me to do what is best for me but I guess I do not know what that us at the moment .

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to flowerlady

My family are very supportive and tell me to look after myself .I think I just feel guilty about giving up work if I do .I think I just need to take stock and rethink how I deal with it all .Thank you for your words of support .

• Hi there you do not have to say sorry for rambling on I am the same this site is brill for support and advice and anything else you need and I worry when there is nothing to worry about so I am constantly anxious every day it doesn't help that I live on my own but the people on here always get back to you and that is very important to know that although living on my own I am not on my own being on here if that makes sense xxx

Flippen