Exercise - how much do you manage?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 18 replies
  • 44 subscribers

I'm sorry I don't post in here very much. I was diagnosed stage 4 kidney cancer over three years ago, I'm on pazopanib (oral) and stable and finally after three years seem to be finding a balance with my treatment & side effects. I have this incurable tag but I don't feel like that person - whatever that's meant to feel like - I feel like a bit of a fraud.

My physical strength has diminished horribly over time and I'm now starting to try to rebuild it but I don't know what is reasonable to expect? I used to swim a lot and haven't for a while - save the odd bit on holiday, but I'm feeling like I'd like to get back in the pool.

I used to swim a mile in 30 minutes - is it reasonable to think I could do that again, or would I be kidding myself?

We just got a dog and I've been walking him 4-5km a day over an hour to an hour and a half for the last week or so. Today I feel shattered. I've hit it from a standing start so I know that's been a bit of a daft thing to do - but is it reasonable to think I could do that every day and it will just get easier? 

I'd love to hear what other people manage. I know it will be different for everyone but I'd love to get a sense of what is possible. When I joined the kidney group and learned how long people had been living with their cancer it gave me so much hope and positivity and I guess that's what I'm hoping to see here too.

Thank you.

• Heya Jo,

I've managed 0 exercise so far this year what with one thing and another. But last year I was doing things and gradually increasing what I could do.

I was just wondering, have you looked at your local Maggie's or Macmillan Centres to see if they have any classes on offer? From talking to the lady who runs the one at mine, you'd be much better off starting off at a lower point and then working your way up. So don't do anything that leaves you completely shattered and wiped out, as that's pushing too hard. So maybe walk him 3 kms a day until you find you've done that without having any issues, and then take it to 4, and so on.

Same when it comes to the swimming. Don't go along thinking that first day in the pool you're going to aim for a mile in 30 mins, just go along thinking you're going to have a nice relaxing swim and see how you feel. See where your body is at the moment, and then try and take it a baby step further. Once that's the norm, take another step.

The classes at Mac are all about rebuilding strength and balance, and as you can do things more easily, you go a little further and make it a little harder. Starting off all guns blazing can lead you to crash and burn, or do yourself some mischief or other.

I'd def say that anything is possible, but the when is the important bit. It'll take time, but it's quite possible. You'll only know if you try, and don't punish or berate yourself if it takes longer than you'd ideally want it to. Just listen to your body, and take it one step at a time,.

Good luck!

Lass

xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

you’re doing a lot of walking. I do Tai Chi and Zumba Gold. We took our granddaughter to the swimming pool and although I didn’t go in the water I did think I might like to, perhaps for adults only so there’s no chance of being jumped on! I think is right. Just listen to your body and do what’s right for you. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Thanks Lass

I can see that read like I thought I'd just jump straight in and swim a mile! I'm not expecting that - more wondering if it's realistic to think I could get back to my previous level of fitness?

We don't have a local Maggie's unfortunately. My Macmillan offers seated yoga - and I know that I can do more than that and an incurable cancer session which is a combo of relaxation and 10 minute gentle exercise - so again maybe not challenging enough? But maybe I'm doing it a complete injustice and should give it a go?

But your anything is possible statement is I think what I'm looking to hear - it's possible, in a realistic timeframe, to regain fitness levels.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi

You've just got me thinking about that adults only idea. Many years ago I used to take my Mam to a water aerobics class. It worked well for both of us as you can work as hard or not as you want - basically to your own ability. I hadn't thought about it in years, but it could be a good option now.

• FormerMember

. That’s a good idea. Water aerobics is fun and not too strenuous. I might check it out at my local pool.

• Hi Jo / ,

I struggle to exercise due to problems with my hips and knees rather than the cancer and if you are otherwise healthy then you should be able to do quite a lot.

When I retired from work I joined the local U3A who run a variety of groups depending upon what is asked for by the membership.  As the membership is made up of people who are no longer in employment the age range tends to be towards the older end.  A lot of local U3A's run a variety of activity programmes most of which will be tailored to meet the membership needs.  I've put a link to your local U3A's for you to have a look at.  click here.  It might be a good place to start looking.

All the best,

Gragon x

• FormerMember

Hi

Before a reoccurrence of breast cancer in 2016 I was very fit. I've always done martial arts, and was doing boxing training a couple of times a week, swimming, and doing lots of walking.

After a year of surgery including lymph node clearance, chemo and radiotherapy I was shocked and depressed to feel so weak and unfit. I'm no longer able to do high impact training, and have missed it so much. 

Since then the cancer has progressed to my brain, bones, liver and more recently lungs. It feels like every time I start to pick up something else comes along. I've had 2 hospital admissions with pneumonia in 6 months and had a lot of muscle wasting, my bum literally disappeared!

Throughout all of this the mistake I've made is aiming to get back to previous levels of fitness and doing too much too soon. 

I've started a completely different approach and learned to ALWAYS leave something in the tank.

I stared with re-bounding, which I love, for 5mins a day, Pilates (I'm a Pilates teacher) for 5 mins a day, walking 5,000 steps a day and doing 4 sets of muscle building exercises a day, 20 reps of each.

This is week 3, I'm doing 15 mins of each, still 5,000 steps partly because of the weather and 40 reps.

I'm feeling stronger, finding it easier and am seeing muscle tone reappear. I could do more but I'm taking it slowly and it's giving me a real boost. I just have to fully engage in what I'm doing and not look back.

I would give anything a go, if nothing else it's a start. Good luck xx

• FormerMember

Hi Tinalay

i wasn’t as fit as you but did cardio cycle twice a week at 59 and two sessions of weight training with the occasional swim. After my diagnosis of womb cancer that had spread, chemo, peripheral neuropathy in my feet and lower legs , occasionally in my fingers I have felt so weak. I have really missed training something I have done for the last 25 years, it also gave me peace of mind too. So fatter in my case and a little bit wobbly in my mind I have gone back doing a little at a time of weights and on a stationary bike. I am not a strong as I once was but I am still enjoying it. I also feel that I have control however limited over something after everything being turned on it’s head. Take care. x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Jo. I can share the feelings of guilt. I am a long term survivor of gbm grade iv. From an exercise perspective pre illness i would exercise occasionally and considered myself to be quite fit and trim. That certainly changed following my diagnosis in 2012 and subsequent treatments. In the last 18 months i have started to exercise. I concur with the other comments about a gradual buildup. But for me its been a progressive approach of understanding my body and increasing my targets as i go. It's no charts or science but i find using my Fitbit is a great way to measure progress with different exercises, steps being the most common. Also if i am tired I sleep or change plans. I am now playing basketball on a weekly basis and that is high cardio for an hour. 

Take your time but aim to ultimately hit that mile!

Take care 

• FormerMember

Hi,

I was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in August last year.  Up till then I was going to a cardiac gym (I had heart surgery in 2016 unrelated) 2x a week.  Walking my little dog daily for about 1 hour half and felt generally fit.  Until I started getting breathless too easily which is what started the ball rolling (I thought it was my heart again!).

Anyway, I am still walking my dog.  Sometimes it’s not for as long or I walk more slowly but generally hour/hour and half is fine.  I’ve just started doing some gentle strength exercises as my bum has disappeared too! Managed to hold a plank for 45secs the other day - very proud of myself!