Ding, ding! Round 2

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 39 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Hi folks 

I’m back to the hospital tomorrow for another battery of tests ahead of starting cycle 2 of the clinical trial that I began on December 27th. 

It’s hard to believe it was just four weeks ago. I was so very unwell. The pain from my poor defunct kidney had overwhelmed me and it was a toss up between sitting it out at A&E at the Norwich and Norfolk Hospital or getting onto the train for London and the trials unit. I did manage the train and the trek from London Liverpool St to Warren St tube. How long those interconnecting tunnels between the mainline station and the tube lines seemed. My brilliant trial doctor and hospice palliative care nurses sorted me out, gave me a bag of drugs to take away and started me on the trial tablets. 

I am feeling so much better now. I’m cooking again - my daughter and I had survived on a diet of ready meals for some months. This week I made falafel, hummus and pita bread from scratch, soup, veggie cottage pie and salted caramel brownies. I still need my stick to walk and I still can’t get up a hill - or at least I can if I take it four steps at a time and have a rest in between. But I am no longer feeling crushed by the fatigue and I can stand unaided for the three minutes the trial requires for a standing blood pressure. Today I took not one but two walks with the dog. The sun was shining and it was blissful. 

It’s impossible to know what’s made the difference. Certainly being on top of the pain has been wonderful. I won’t know if the trial drugs have achieved anything until after a scan on February 18. I’d be very surprised if we see much change; the best I can hope for is no change and no new disease. 

Meanwhile I’m feeling so grateful to have this new lease of life. I’m taking it one day at a time and savouring each of them 

xxx

• Too quick for me Tinalay Grinning

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Wow Dizzie, i wondered where you had gone, nice to hear from you and no need to appologise at all. I dont post much but read the threads regularly. Sometimes  i feel as though my posts are a bit moany n whingy and sometimes i write them, read them through then delete them so i dont upset anyone. Lynn2 x

• Hi Diz,

Lovely to see you back my friend. I don’t post very often now either just every now and then.

I hope to see more of you again now. Just remember we are all here for you at any time, whenever you need a hug or to let of steam.

love and hugs

Maggie xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Alive

So glad to see you back. All the names I was too afraid to ask about. BlushBlushBlush

My day is happier now.

XXX

• FormerMember

Whoa! Diz ! Is that really you? Welcome back. It’s so good to see you here again 

xxx

• FormerMember

Daloni

just read Dizzi-wh’s profile. Animal lover especially 3 cats. I’m new Dizzi-Wh, pleased to speak to you online.

• Hi Diz, Welcome back my friend! I think we all have a bit of hibernation now and again! We were both diagnosed in the same year and there aren't many of us still about! No wonder your oncologist is pleased with you! Mine can't quite believe I'm still here either! I know exactly what you mean about "sick being sick" but there's not a lot we can do about it except keep fighting, as you say!

I hope all is well with the family!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Thanks to you all for my "welcome back". As you say Annette - we must be some of the more fortunate ones - although treatment for so long certainly takes its' toll on the poor old body.

Talk to you all again soon

Love Diz xxx

• FormerMember

Hi Dizzie i must have missed your come back, its really good so see you here.

Hope all is well.

Take Care Ellie xx

"You Never Walk A Lone"