Question on gov benefits.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 19 replies
  • 40 subscribers

I have today received a letter from DWP telling me I am only entitled to £58.70 per week on top of my pension, maybe I am being greedy but as a terminal ill cancer patient in palative care and a max life expectancy of 12 months with nearly 2 months of that already gone how do I pay for the help I will need at home or afford to visit my hospice twice weekly it's a 36 mile round trip per time or afford to travel to my nearest hospital that's a 46 mile round trip before I pay for hospital parking and purchase a soft diet and pay for my every day basic needs.

Please tell me how you others manage, this is just another worry after a life time of working and paying my taxes.

I look at others that have never worked a day in their life smoking drinking running car's - how do they do it ? How am I going to just get by ?. I am shocked I can not believe I have to go without heating, food something so I can attend the hospice or hospital - what is it with this country when hard working people are not helped when in need.

Please excuse my moan, but how do you cope without dipping deeply in to savings.

• Heya, 

The problem might be your savings. For most benefits, if you have more than 5k of savings then you don't get anything else. If you own your house, you don't get housing benefit either to help with mortgage payments, etc etc. However PIP isn't means tested and just goes off your day to day life and abilities.

Out of interest, what was it you applied to the DWP for? Did you have someone fill out a DS1500 form that says you have less than 6 months to live? I'm sure one of your nurses would be willing to do that for you to help you out if you asked?

As for how others manage, it's all about finding out what you're entitled to - which the government won't tell you - and then applying for it. Some aren't honest, and know how to work the system, but most of us are honest. And I have a nice big fluffy blanket and duvet, as well as three cats to save on heating most of the time. And taxis to and from places are calculated in, so sometimes I don't go to places because the travel is too high.

I'd suggest a ring to Macmillan tomorrow to ask to speak to a benefits advisor. See if they can tell you what you're entitled to and how to apply for them! 

Good luck! 

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

I can see you’re really worried and your question is a good one. My first answer is to get on to the Macmillan financial advisers first thing tomorrow - you can reach them via the helpline number which is on the website home page. 

My second is to ask why not dip into your savings? At the risk of sounding heartless, what are your savings for? Surely this is the very definition of a rainy day? You can’t spend it once you’re gone and I’d choose having the heating on and food in the fridge over money in the bank every time. 

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi daloni,

I only slightly agree with what you say not every one is as financial lucky as some of us and maybe there lies the problem, I don't no, I have this picture in my head of the little old person sat in their bedsit alone with a terminal illness unable to to get or afford the care to make their life bearable.

£58.70 when you have been put on a special diet and all the other costs seems very little after a life time of working - I wondered are the benefits a person receive what they call means tested, would a that person sat in their bedsit with no savings get more financial help than me for instance because I worked and saved.

Your right I can not take it with me but I can do a lot of good with it after I'm gone or maybe have a much deserved holiday now and then give the rest to people for looking after me it seems alttle mean to me.

I know of one person who because they have first stage Parkinson is receiving £280 per week and appears to have savings just wondered how Somme get and some don't.

Yes I can cope And the government help of £58.70 will help feed me my soft food diet and thankfully I can afford to attend my hospice and pay the £5 + hospital parking and many other things but what if I had no savings, a lot of fit pensioners struggi to eat and keep warm without all the extra cost of illness

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

I think after what you say it could be savings - not sure, I just put myself in another person's shoes and wondered how they coped on £58. 70 if I didn't have a car and hadto use taxis with my hospital being 46 mile round trip the above cash would not go far, and no I can't catcha bus there is only one bus a day out in the Lincolnshire countryside I would have to camp out overnight in the hospital grounds to catch the next bus.

It's not me thinking just me me me I was wondering how it works and how others that do not have it cope. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Thanks for your reply lass,

I am not worried about the money but just wondered how others manage if they was not as fortunate as some of us I also wondered why a person can get £280 per week for early stage Parkinsons but a person with a terminal illness gets £58.70.

I don't understand it but will no longer wonder how some others cope and concentrate on my own circumstances, I will be selfish and think of me me me me me. Lol hope you all have a nice day.

• FormerMember

Dear, when I was diagnosed as terminal my doctor signed my ds1500 form and I was awarded the full amount of the mobility element as well and because of that my hubby gets carers allowance, its not enough to live on so we have to make up the rest with savings which we were saving for our retirement which obviously isn’t something that’s going to happen now. I understand your desire to save back some money for friends, charity donations and a holiday, you just need to find the right balance between taking care of your own needs and being benevolent to others. The whole benefits system in regards to terminal illness is very confusing, and it’s really something that only the experts can decipher. I know the motor neurone disease society have done some fantastic work in parliament regarding terminal illness benefits eligibility criteria and got the law changed in Scotland so more people would benefit from pip. I hope you and your animal friends are ok and you have a lovely walk together today. 

• FormerMember

Thanks johnty

.maybe I should not have asked the question on here I am ok financial and to be honest if after a life time of working the government thinks I am only entitled to£58. 70 no problems but on opening the DWP letter I just thought how do others manage !! How do some get hundreds and others a pittance.

I will not be looking in to the confused benefits system I will spend my hard earned savings as deloni says, I can't take it with me.

But I do feel concern for that person not only fighting physical illness / mental illness but also financial not able to get to their hospice or afford to attend hospital.

My last word on this is the benefit system should work for those that have been willing to work when they need it, not give large amounts of cash to them that abuse the system.

No more replying from me on this subject, thank you to all who did reply.

Now getting out of bed and looking forward to blowing my £58.70 allowance on something silly as a treat, thanks to my caring government for appreciating my 50 years of hard work and never relying on them for benefits.

Roll on next Tuesday, my hospice day 

• FormerMember

Dear that’s the spirit onwards and upwards. What is a treat for you, I’m quite partial to a nice big slice of carrot cake or a tiramisu dessert, whilst having my feet up on the footstool and watching some tacky tv like 4 in a bed, it all starts off nicey nicey but they all end up falling out by the end, it’s hilarious.

• FormerMember

We have a garden centre just up the road that does real tasty meals and sells the largest cream cakes, that's where I am heading after walking Cain and rappa. 

It may take me some time due to the pain I get from this horrible tumour in my food pipe but I will persevere, small bite of cream bun then sip of water or ?? May spend whats left on a tree or shrub in memory of the government's contribution to my well being.

What is this four in a bed, sounds a little naughty. I hope you are not being led astray Jane, I am here if you want to talk about it. Lol 

• FormerMember

Dear , four in a bed is where four owners of bed and breakfast establishments go to to each other’s premises and stay overnight then fill out a book saying what they thought of their experiences. It’s all very nice at the beginning but when they get any critical remarks they all start getting very thin skinned about things and at the end they have a showdown at a local hotel where they thrash it out. I can’t imagine what you thought it was about L.O.L but what I’ve learnt is you should never criticise how someone cooks their sausages Zipper mouth