Gardens, plants etc 2020

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 263 replies
  • 56 subscribers

2nd January. I was trying to keep my spirits up this morning by assessing what is looking good in my garden. I have variegated golden and green shrubs which always look sunny even when its dull. Some red cornus stems though they need some light to bring out the colour.

Several plants are still holding their coloured autumn leaves. A container has two very lush clumps of diascia foliage. Cant believe it has survived the frosts. 

Primroses are in flower in a few places and the winter heathers are beginning to colour up. Outside my front door is a variegated holly with lots of berries, surprised the birds haven't taken those.

But no blue sky - there was a glimpse earlier but it's gone now. I have two nice winter gardens near me at Mottisfont and Hilliers Arboretum which have influenced my choice of plants over the years. Used to be favourite visits to cheer me up this time of year but both seem too daunting to attempt now.

Tessa

• Heya

Spring Garden Food? Going to show my ignorance here, are you supposed to feed and fertilise each year? Is there something special to use? I think I've only got tomato feed in my pile of bottles, oh, and blueberry feed. lol. I've ordered some more compost as I've got some beds and planters to rejuvenate, and I've just this minute ordered a new tall planter and 2 hanging ones to go over my fence. So I've gone through my seeds and looked at the plants I've ordered and I've typed up a plan of what goes where ready for when they arrive. Exciting stuff, getting some colour in!

Your sunflower growing competition sounds amazing! I hope you share some pics with us as they grow. Whoo Hoo on winning the weed war! Sounds like your little helper is as helpful as mine! lol. The youngest cat will watch me in the front garden pulling up weeds, and will then pull my seedlings up out of the pots beside him to 'help'......  And oooo. I hope the babies take root and do their thing too! Fingers crossed they survive! I should probably break up my money plant a bit. There are loads of babies happening in the pot and I think it could do with thinning. Got him from my Grandpa who is no longer with us, so I don't want to do anything that might kill him!

Come on the shipments! Lol. I want to get the new things here and then into the garden! (It's probably good they aren't here, I should sit and do less for a bit. I think I've been doing too much and I'm suffering a bit with a few things at the min. But meh. I'm a baddie! lol)

Lass

xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• Hi there,

I've just seen an article stating that because the Chelsea flower show is cancelled lots of the exhibitors are trying to sell the plants, that they grew for the show, online.  I've put a link here if you are interested in having a look.  I haven't checked out the prices but I would imagine the quality is right at the top.

Gragon, xx

• Hey Gragon, 

I'm not seeing anywhere on the link that says they're selling things off. There's just the usual shop on there. 

Do you think we might need to find each competitors website to find what they are selling? 

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• Hi Lass,

I saw the article on Microsoft news.  I think it was from the Guardian but when I searched again I couldn't find that one but did find one from the metro on 9th of April.

I tried to link it but I'm afraid I'm not skilled enough to do that on my phone.  I think going to the websites might be best.  They probably wouldn't have taken the plants to Chelsea so they are probably still at the nurseries.

All the best,

Gragon x

• Hi Thanks for the info. I clicked on the link however the site has closed down due to the amount of interest! I've taken a note of the website and will try again tomorrow! Thanks again!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Edited to add..... Had a nagging feeling and clicked Gragon's link again. It's exactly the same as the below. Not sure what was going on the first time I clicked it because it took me to the main RHS page, not the list of competitors page. Hence my earlier confusion. So please ignore this entire post except for the last bit saying thanks! I'm going to slink off feeling like a right wally now! 

Got it! Found an article that explained what's going on.

RHS have put together a list of the competitors. If you click on the name of the competitor, it opens up a box with more info on them and also a link to their websites. Some of them have got online shops on their websites where you can buy seeds and plants.

List of competitors is HERE

It's giving me some trouble on my mobile, but if you click the right facing arrow it seems to make the page load. 

Thanks for that Gragon! I'm going to pass it to my brother, see if there's anything he fancies! 

Lass

Xx

• The bloomin caterpillars and aphids are out in force again already! Think I need to go out with some polypaper and a stool and squish all the aphids off my clove currant before they kill it off like last year! 

But some flower movement too! 

Lass

Xx

• This week, once the nematodes and chemicals arrive, I shall be waging war against vine weevil grubs! I believe they've eaten lots of my tulip bulbs, and my fig tree is in danger of being killed off too! So nematodes to the rescue! 

In the meantime, here are some flowers that made it! 

Lass

Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Wow . They are beautiful and I am all the more appreciative for not being able to see the flowers in my own garden right now. I love the colours. The bright pinks and oranges are lovely singly but fairly hum when you put them together. 

Keep them coming! 

xx

• Hi Friends

I took this photo of the lawn and carpet of cherry blossom petals that I don't ever remember seeing before probably because the winds of other years would have blown away the petals. This spring has been so passive, windwise, and now the petals are lying where they fall, building up layers of scented pink softness. 

Tvman x

Love life and family.