Gardens, plants etc 2020

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 263 replies
  • 56 subscribers

2nd January. I was trying to keep my spirits up this morning by assessing what is looking good in my garden. I have variegated golden and green shrubs which always look sunny even when its dull. Some red cornus stems though they need some light to bring out the colour.

Several plants are still holding their coloured autumn leaves. A container has two very lush clumps of diascia foliage. Cant believe it has survived the frosts. 

Primroses are in flower in a few places and the winter heathers are beginning to colour up. Outside my front door is a variegated holly with lots of berries, surprised the birds haven't taken those.

But no blue sky - there was a glimpse earlier but it's gone now. I have two nice winter gardens near me at Mottisfont and Hilliers Arboretum which have influenced my choice of plants over the years. Used to be favourite visits to cheer me up this time of year but both seem too daunting to attempt now.

Tessa

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I agree Lynn2 I'm  planning my vegetable patch too. Last year I grew carrots and tomatoes in pots. I needed the room as the squashes took up most of my patch lol. Oh my are they big and sprawling! I also grew shallots but lost the garlic somewhere !?! I do love thinking about the new growing season. 

• So, just spent two and a half hours in my back garden and I really should remember that pushing through the pain isn't always the best plan these days, and two and a half hours in one go is much too much! 

But, all the cat poo is now gone, along with the wormlike things that were attached to it. No idea what they were as I didn't investigate too closely because it STANK! I collected an entire carrier bag full of poo, and I was sorely tempted to leave it on my neighbours doorstep as it's her cat doing it's business in my pots! But I put it in my bin instead.

But everything has been weeded, vermiculite has been dug through the pots that needed it, everything has been aerated, and the clove currant and pink blueberry got a tiny haircut each. I just need some more soil for some pots, to investigate my herb pots, and my hanging raspberry needs a weed too, and I think it's all ready for the seedlings on my windowsill and those still to come!

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Looking good,

xx

• Hi, I've just seen this topic for the first time (no notifications!) so sorry, THIS is where I should have put my photos!! I'll know in future!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Hi Annette 

I was just laughing to myself about how often the threads in this group meander into talk of gardens and flowers. All roads lead to Rome...

xx

• Wow Lass! That's a lot of work! It looks great and so important for making 

Us feel good..xx

Flowerlady x
  • 2 hours out front done today. So everything, well, lots of things weeded! Lol. Vermiculite added to the bed where plants go to die and the troughs, so hopefully this year things won't die! Buddleia are all pruned and looking a good shape to build on. Then, having investigated everything else, it looks like they've all got buds on them so I didn't kill off anything big! Go me! Lol

Still need to do a bit more weeding, and I need to put out some more bark, then I must remember to prune some things after they've flowered this year. Get them a better shape too. But I guarantee I'll forget! Lol. 

Oh yeh, and my saskatoon out back has flowered today! So bring on the bugs so I can get some more tasty berries! 

Hope your gardens are all looking good and developing well! 

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• If anyone needs some extra plants for their gardens, I just found this article. 

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/apr/05/gardening-through-lockdown-go-online-and-support-our-small-growers

I ordered today from Sutton seeds and you garden. Sarah Raven are also offering plants and seeds still too.

Looking forward to everything arriving and being placed! Fingers crossed some of these things survive in the plots of death! Lol

Lass

Xx

• Hi Lass

Great photos! Gardening is great exercise and good for the soul. 

I have ordered some plants from Sarah Raven for my mum. I had lots

Of packets of old seed and I have spread them all over my pots.

Keep safe and well!

X

Flowerlady x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Hi

I have ordered my spring garden food from a local garden centre along with some bedding - but they’d sold out of most of it! Another local garden centre has stopped taking orders as they are overwhelmed. 

The families in my road are organising kids games on a Sunday. There are 15 children aged under 10 plus a couple of teenagers in my small cul-de-sac.

The first week was a socially distanced scavenger hunt. Last Sunday was a bear hunt where we all put soft toys in our front gardens and had families come out one by one to count them. The total was either 145 or 147. Next Sunday I’m organising a sunflower growing competition. I have ordered sunflower seeds and compostable pots; I have compost. I’ll leave them out in the garden for families to come with their kids and plant their seed. Then we will have a weekly measure. 

Happy gardening in this lovely weather. For the first year ever I think I’m winning the war on weeds. I had a lovely morning yesterday, weeding and working chicken manure pellets into the soil while the dog dug holes in the lawn and snurfled out tasty manure pellets as I tried to dig them in. I found several seedlings under my mature hellebore so I dug them up and transplanted a few to a shady spot in need of filling and a few to pots to distribute to neighbours.