Problems with ANTIBIOTICS?

• 40 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Hi Everyone, As you know I have been in bed all week with a severe chest infection my GP said was heading towards pneumonia. He gave me a 7 day course of Clarithromycin 500mgs twice a day! The main problem is my mouth! I feel as if my tongue is raw and I've lost the top layer of skin on it! My whole mouth is now sore and burning, it sounds crazy but even my teeth are painful.

I was wondering has anyone else had this kind of reaction to this or any other antibiotic? I only have 2 for Monday and one for Tuesday and that's me finished the course but don't know whether call my GP for advice in the morning or to just finish the course and hope this all goes away!

Thank you for reading this, it's making me miserable and that's just not me! Even my cup of tea tastes terrible. He did say I'd have a metallic taste in my mouth but.........

• Heya, 

Sounds like it's a beast of an antibiotic that might be killing off all the good bugs in your mouth. So without them doing their thing, it might be causing you issues.

Actually, just read the NHS page on it and apparently you can get thrush in your mouth because it kills off the good bacteria in your mouth. Do you think it might be that? 

Also, the info page on the medicine says..... 

Some side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:

Less common

1. change in sensation of taste

Incidence not known

1. sore mouth or tongue
    2. swelling or inflammation of the mouth
    3. tongue discoloration
    4. tooth discoloration

Hope that helps a bit? 

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• Thanks Lass, I looked up the drug too but gave me slightly different info!

The list at the bottom of your page, I can tick them ALL! The last infection I had that made me feel as bad as this was Cellulitis and was in hospital for 10 days!

Thanks again and also for the photo info, I will try it soon! Sleep well!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Wow it's even the right way up...so far! These are our three grandchildren when we went to Bo'ness Steam Railway earlier this year for The Thom Tank Experience! We all loved it!

Thanks Lass I was looking for the right box but in the wrong place!

Love Annette x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Hi Annette, 

That sounds utterly miserable. Poor you! I haven’t experienced this kind of thing but putting together what you say with Lass’s information about thrush, can I suggest trying to eat some live yoghurt? It might well be soothing, although of course it could make matters more uncomfortable by making your mouth sting. 

I wish I had something more useful to say but I don’t. So I’ll sign off by sending a big hug and lots of love

Xx

• Thanks Daloni, I have tried live yogurt but it didn't really sting, it made my mouth seem as if it was on fire. Thanks for trying to help. Yes it is miserable, just like the weather here! 

Love Annette x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Dear

Why not call your GP and ask what to do. I agree with the others sounds like thrush. Your GP should have a solution. Don’t suffer call for advice this is not their first rodeo. 

Hugs

millie

• HnAnnette,

you could try   giving your local pharmacy a call they may be able to recommend some nystatin to sooth your  mouth 

Ruth 

• Hi Annette

I've only just read your post and I would suggest that you ring your GP asap. Given the last time you had to ring your GP, I'd say that his secretary will put you through straight away.

Tvman xc

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Hi Anndanv

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well.

I react to all sorts of antibiotics, but have to have them often due to a long term skin condition. I can't take Penicillin so often get prescribed Clarithromycin and weirdly it's one of the few I can take. 

I agree with oral thrush like others have said. I was given cefaclor recently and try to avoid it as it's one I get effects from. It triggered thrush (not oral though). I tried treating with over the counter stuff but it kept coming back. My oncologist gave me an anti fungal tablet course and it's worked.

Hope you feel better soon

• THANKS EVERYONE for your replies, I really appreciate you taking the time!

I phoned my GP first thing on Monday morning and explained I wasn't feeling any better after a week in bed (which is not like me) and I had only 2 more antibiotics left to take. Once I described my mouth, tongue, gums and throat, he told me not to take any more. I told him I thought I was "doing the right thing" by soldiering on until the course was finished. He said not if you have such a bad reaction to them or anything....you stop taking it and call the surgery! I've never had thrush before so hadn't a clue what was going on. However I knew someone (& more) here would know! Thanks guys!

Anyway, now I have another week of antibiotics that you take once a day. When you take it, you have to stand or sit for the next 30 minutes, bit strange but I think it is meant to protect your stomach and mine is not good at the best of times! So here I am now, mouth not just as sore but throat sore to swallow! Maybe I'll have to purée my Christmas Dinner! LOL! 

Thanks again, I'm hoping these ones work very quickly! Love to your house from our house!

Love Annette x