Oh no!

• 63 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Hi everyone

Just wanted to let you know what happened to me earlier today.

It's a usual Tuesday morning, my wife and son leave for work about 8.15am, and just me and the dog left. It was a horrible morning, wind howling and  rain falling incessantly. No point getting up and freezing with no heating on, I'll be going to the MacMillan exercise class about 12. I'll stay in bed.

About 11.00am the doorbell rang and I made my way slowly up the hall turned left and there's a Yodel van and the driver standing with a large box. Now I'm wearing pyjamas and a pair of socks. So I open the inside door into the porch, squeeze my way into the porch, keeping the dog in the hall and closed the door behind me, opened the front door and signed the delivery guy's pad, thanked him, closed the front door and turned around to open the inside door.

It's locked! It's locked! Am I sure? Tried it again and yes, it's definitely locked! OMG. Ok, what now? I have no keys hidden anywhere. Right! Think, think! My wife and son both work in Comber, about 8 miles away. My mother in law lives over the hill from me about ½ mile away, and my brother in law, Peter also over the hill, just, but Peter, he's at work in Belfast. I need to ring my wife to get her to come home and let me in which is why I'm going to my mother in law's, aged 95, to use her phone. 

Well, it's still raining and quite breezy and I have no choice but to try to make it to her house, in my pyjamas and socks. Remember, I'm a wheelchair user, however I can walk a little but then the pain, in shovelfuls, kicks in. I had to rest against trees, hang on to gates and branches. Not one car passed me, although I'm not sure a driver would have stopped for a rain soaked, bent over man, his face contorted with pain. I wouldn't. All the time I was thinking, "neutropenic, neutrophils, neutropenia, death of cold, death FROM cold". I was freezing and starting to get a little numb.

I had just gone over the crest of the hill and my brother in law came round the side of his house to the roadside. I shouted "Peter, Peter" and he stopped in his tracks, turned around and a look of disbelief came over his face. He told me later that when he saw me walking towards him, water dripping off my face, wearing just pyjamas and socks which were dripping wet, well, you can guess the rest. In hope he asked "Locked out?" and I could only nod!

He brought me into the house, gave me clean dry socks and drove me to Comber, picked up my son's keys and drove me home. I even had time to go to the leisure centre, I missed the exercise class but I was just in time for the Christmas dinner, yay! I tell you what, I had the most interesting topic to talk about.

Hope you enjoyed that

Tvman

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

I can remember Take the high road. It was good afternoon entertainment. Shame it finished. I’ve always wanted to go to Loch Lomond. The holidays I took were in the Lake District. I loved Tarn How. Friar’s crab etc. Rouble was I wasn’t keen on hills. Preferred to stop and paint.

• Hi   Yes it's a beautiful area that never seems to change much! We've also stayed in the McDonald Estate and my husband has photographed quite a few weddings etc in the area! Luss, apart from a new coffee shop or two is still exactly the same as seen on Take the High Road! They were repeating them on one of the free view channels like UKGold, or Drama or something but it was a bit dated, especially the sound! If you search the channels  it's bound to be still around somewhere! When our children were young (and now their children too,) love going into the shop where they filmed Blairs store as they had pieces of tablet and shortbread on plates for you to help yourself and they still do it today. I've been on many walking holidays in the Lake District, it's lovely! Ah roll on the holidays!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi 

I've only been to the Lake Distinct once, we stayed somewhere near Keswick. The scenery was amazing, well what we saw through the mist! It was a battle every morning, to drag my youngest out of the hotel, away from the kidz club to go sightseeing.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.