Quality of life

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 15 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Quality of life is a very personal thing and mine has certainly changed since my incurable and then terminal diagnosis.

I'm no longer able to do some of the things I've been passionate about like Martial Arts. 4 years ago I could do an hour of boxing training followed by an hour of swimming 3 times a week, now 12 lengths of the pool and some gentle pilates is an achievement.

I'm not allowed to drive, so have lost a lot of my independence and it's harder to be spontaneous.

Many, many people have told me how good singing is for health and well being including some of this community, but I only sing when there's no one around.

On Friday I attended a one day Voice Gym course in London, thinking it would help with my breathing, I have a lot of consolidation and a bit of collapsed lung since having pneumonia.

It was simply amazing, I feel like I've been given a gift and can't stop smiling! The presenter was Alex Evans and along with being an outstanding singer himself he helped each and every one of us find our voices in a safe and fun way. A lot of it was releasing tension from the jaw, neck and shoulders and I'll be introducing some of the techniques to my clients. I'll also be introducing it to the drama group I volunteer with for adults with learning difficulties. We spoke and sang, laughed and cried, moved and bounced on physio balls, but most importantly had so much fun! 

My quality of life has just shot up in a totally unexpected way. If you have a voice or have any tension in your face or body take a look at his work. I'll try and post a link. Move over Beyoncé Notes xx

• That's great to hear, Tinalay

Anything that offers quality is to be treasured. I am so sure that positive experiences can help disease of any kind. I started a new treatment on Thursday and I feel rubbish, but I am going to try and do something positive right now!

Looking forward to the link

Xx

Flowerlady x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to flowerlady

Good luck with your new treatment Flowerlady, I hope it will do the trick and you can look forward to more travelling next year. Staying positive is a choice and one we sometimes have to work at, so as you say, anything that helps! What did you do? 

Have asked Lass for help with the link xx

• Thank you Tinalay

I painted some Christmas wooden doves, bright gold. Adding glitter tomorrow. 

Xx

Flowerlady x
  • Hi Tinalay, That was a very uplifting post to read! It's a pity he doesn't do a weekly class you can attend! I will watch out for the "link" thanks!

Flowerlady, good luck with the new treatment, I too hope it works it's magic for you! Are the things you are making to decorate Christmas trees or just for hanging then where you like? Either way, sounds great!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Hi

What a pleasure to read your post. I sing in a choir (I might have mentioned this...) and I find that singing is all absorbing. I can’t think about anything else. It’s time out for my buzzing brain. I hadn’t thought about the impact on my body so much. We do all carry tension and anxiety and indeed trauma in our bodies. So exercises like those you touched on that can make us aware of this and help us to let it go can help not just our bodies but also our minds. It’s a win win. And that’s without the sheer joy of making music whether alone in the shower or with others. 

I am living with a lot of pain at the moment and you’ve reminded me that I need to look at this in a new way, not just through painkillers. I’m going to make an appointment with an acupuncturist tomorrow. 

I am sorry to hear you’re feeling crappy . Glittery golden doves sound a good antidote. 

Love and hugs xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

, I've just sent you a private message, but I think I may have sent it to myself...?

You are constantly in my thoughts and I wish you the very best of luck for tomorrow. I hope you can find relief for your pain, that's such a drain on your resources.

Lass has sent me some instructions for posting the link but I'm afraid I've let her down this time, will have another go.

Have started researching local choirs, and will keep an eye on my new coat, your coat story made me laugh. I think it was   who said quality of life was being able to engage with other people. I don't have any creative talents like so many of you, the blanket you made your daughter was just beautiful, but by God, there will be singing!  xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi

I got your message and replied just now. As for links, I just copy and paste them. 

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to flowerlady

that sounds just perfect, can you post a picture? I know you love being outside, but today wasn't the best weather for that.   xx

• Hi Tinalay

As I was reading your post, I began with a heavy heart as you were setting the scene for an unhappy life, no driving, no martial arts etc.

Then a big smile came across my face. I was so happy to see that one of my good friends had found a niche that we are all looking for. I'm so, so pleased for you. 

Carry on with your new found quality of life.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

https://www.voicegym.co.uk/background

Thanks ,  

haven’t stopped singing since Fri Notes

Here’s a link, thanks Lass! Hope it works xx