No Evidence of Active Disease

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 12 replies
  • 48 subscribers

I was told yesterday that after almost two years since diagnosis, I reached ‘No Evidence of Active Disease’. I couldn’t be more grateful to the everyone who helped me. I’m  thrilled to have got to this point. Yet I keep crying. Hopefully this will pass.

Anyway, tests will be repeated in four months, but for now I will enjoy. I just wanted to let all you lovely people know as I don’t think anyone else can understand how I’m feeling.

• I am in a similar boat - kind of.

My cancer recurred in October 2017 and spread to liver, adrenal glands, lymph nodes in my abdomen and there was a suspicious nodule or two on my lungs.

I was given the chance to try nivolumab an immunotherapy drug as one last hail Mary pass. Unbelievably i have had a tremendous response, with ky abdominal lymph nodes, adrenal glands lungs and liver now clear. 

I have another condition called sarcoidosis from which I have never had any symptoms, but does cause swollen lymph nodes in your chest. I now have slightly swollen lymph nodes in my chest.

Because of this, my oncologist is unable to tell me I am in complete remission, but in his words, he thinks these nodes are sarcoid but the only way to confirm is to open my chest and cut out the nodes and biopsy. 

So I'm kind of in a nice limbo (if limbo can be so described). My onc believes I'm in remission but can't say. 

I will be getting infusions for the foreseeable future once a fortnight and he sees no reason why these should stop. 

Anyway, Wednesday was the results of the 3rs scan in a row which showed the above results - I am scanned every 4 months so that's a year. 

When I think of the people I have met on here and IRL who have not been so lucky there is a tinge of guilt it has to be said. Just through pure chance and being in the right place at the right time I was offered this drug, and it has removed any visible disease from jy body (probably). 

•   IVe just read your news and am delighted for you. It is a bit overwhelming on first hearing this fantastic news but I'm sure you will soon get used to it and only cry happy tears! I do hope this takes the weight off your shoulders and you enjoy life to the full ( in between regular scans etc!).

& I'm pleased to say, I am sharing the lucky boat with you, I also do feel a bit guilty sometimes but let's face it, we have no say in who these drugs work for or not. If I could, I'd make everyone NED ( no evidence of disease) wouldn't you?

Lets just count our blessings and enjoy every second of every day to the full!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!