Busy couple of weeks coming up

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 249 replies
  • 46 subscribers

hi folks 

today I saw the urologist. The oncologists at the trials unit at UCLH are concerned about my kidney function and reckon the stent in my ureter is blocked. With the amount of pain I’m in, it wouldn’t surprise me. So they referred me to urology. But that’s at the local hospital. 

Today I saw the consultant urologist at my local hospital in Maidstone and he agreed. But he’s not sure the kidney is working at all so his plan is a test involving an injection of a radioactive isotope which they then track through the kidneys. If the kidney is working, he’ll replace the stent. That’s a day case procedure but involves a general anaesthetic. 

All that needs to take place before October 16 when I am due to start an immunotherapy trial. I also have to fit in a CT scan, a fancy blood test that requires a team from Cancer Research labs to come out with special kit and a biopsy. 

So it looks like I’ll either be waiting for hospital appointments or in hospital for much of the next fortnight. 

Bother. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

your post really made me smile today, such a lovely description of you both moseying along a northern Irish country lane, it put a big smile on my face, thank you for that!

• FormerMember

I love the image of you and Conan meandering along the country lanes, waving at drivers as they pass by, . And yes, it’s very satisfying walking a dog. I like how they are a spark to conversation too. I find myself chatting right, left and centre. 

Did I mention I plucked up the courage to let her off the lead? There’s a park nearby with lots of dogs and (again with the chatting) I got talking to one dog owner who said Noodle would stay close by when there are other dogs around. Sure enough, she did.

xx

• Hi

Your weekend sounds like a good time in all aspects. Much better than mine is going to be unless I can get outside and do some gardening.

Have fun

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Hi Daloni

I don't think I would let Conan off the lead in a public area. He wants to befriend every dog he meets.  We have a couple of closed fields opposite but there's a horse in them, one field at a time. So if the horse is in one field we can put Conan in the other? Nope. Not until the horse poop has dried up and tasteless. Yup, our Conan is verrrry fond of fresh horsey poop.

I'd say after the first few heart stopping minutes, you enjoyed watching Noodle have a little freedom but you still kept a close eye on her, just in case, she's too gorgeous to lose. 

Keep enjoying her.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

That made me laugh, . Noodle is keen on the deer pooh that abounds in Knole Park. Dogs really are disgusting in a way that cats just aren’t (says the former cat lady) but also lovely in a way that’s quite different to cats (says the newly converted dog lover). She invented a new game this evening. Bark at the door to be let out; bring in a stone and chew it. Repeat. She has me over a barrel as she’s learnt to bark at the door to go out for a wee. She stopped after six stones and a shell that she had to kill by running up and down the sitting room and shaking vigorously. Better than watching the tv is all I can say Joy

xx

• Hi That's great you can let her off the lead Daloni. Was the park fenced, or is she so small she could slip through it if she wanted to! Regards the wanting out the back door! My sister had two golden retrievers and when they got to know they could get out anytime (at first) by scratching the back door, they had her run ragged. Of course she was scared they really DID need a wee. Then in the park, she would let one at a time off the lead to start with. One of them brought back a squirrel and my sister was distraught until the dog (called Fudge) presented the squirrel to her feet, and it ran away unharmed! How clever was that! Sounds like our grandchildren! Not scraping the door of course! But when we went to a cafe etc when they were first being potty training, our daughter could be back and forward to the toilets at the other side of the cafe six or seven times because she didn't want to take the chance either! I think they were maybe bored! From then on we sat near but not next to the toilets, so it wasn't as interesting to go! I'm sure Noodle will soon settle down. I'm so pleased you are enjoying having her. 

Tvman, the country walk with Conan sounds great. My problem is my son I bought me an electric scooter that goes into 4 pieces so you can put it in the car, which is terrific but I can't put it together myself, or lift it in or out of the car, so my husband needs to come with me and he's never much liked walking. I was in walking groups and the Ramblers with a friend and really miss it. So anyone out there thinking of getting a scooter, think carefully before you buy. I can't handle an electric bike either as I can't put much weight on my left leg!

I'm a bit jealous when I read these stories but what gets to me are the people who can do all these things but don't! If you know what I mean! Happy walking to everyone who can, with or without a dog!!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Hi just wondering how you were getting on with your scan and results etc, hope you are doing ok x

• FormerMember

Hi

Thank you for prompting me to update. I’ve been a bit low physically and finding it hard to contribute positively to the conversations so I have rather stepped back for a little while. 

The scan was entirely uneventful, which is what I like. I arrived, got called in quickly, had no trouble with veins, had the scan and came home. I’m not sure when I’ll get the results. The multi disciplinary team meeting is next Wednesday so not before then. I bumped into my consultant on the way out of the hospital and she said they’d be in touch.

The trials unit has scheduled me in for three more maintenance doses of the immunotherapy at fortnightly intervals starting December 18. If the scan shows the cancer is stable, this will go ahead. If not, then who knows? I think there’s the possibility of another trial but I know no more than that. 

To be honest, I’m happy putting it all out of my mind for a while. I’d much rather focus on seeing friends, thinking up nice gift ideas for my loved ones, getting outside for some fresh air with the puppy and playing inside with her or curling up on the sofa together when it’s raining. 

lots of love xxx

• Hi 

You will have been doing a lot of curling up on the sofa then! I think that's about to stop temporarily, good fresh cold air for a few days. I'll be out in the garden to get one raised bed made for overwintering onions and shallots and garlic in. Have to get about two feet high beds in and 30 inch wide paths made, to accommodate the wheelchair, but just a little each day, baby steps, small targets. Then get the polytunnel up over the top of the lot.

Your absence has been noticed by me too, Daloni. No news is good news? Not here though! I'm glad to see that you are back with us, at least in spirit. When we're low, we don't feel like contributing. I woke up suddenly because my thighs decided to give pain like something wanted to burst out of the outside of each, excruciating it was, I screamed because I had been sleeping and the pain came right outta the blue.

I didn't seem to waken the cherubic snore monster, if I did, she's used to it and goes straight back to sleep. I had been sleeping on my back so I might have trapped a couple of nerves. 

Best of luck for Wednesday, if the scan results are back. Good to see your name on my screen Slight smile again. 

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

Thanks . I’m really sorry to hear about the pain. It sounds a real.,,pain. I’ve been struggling with night time pain too. I’ve found mine is better if I sleep on my back rather than curled up on my side. 

Right. I’m going to get a bit more shut eye. 

xx