Hello Everybody

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 15 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Hello everybody, this is my first time posting, it feels like a milestone I didn’t want to arrive at.

i got told 4 weeks ago my ovarian cancer has returned less than a year after my first treatment had finished.  I have quite a rare aggressive sort of OC so there are not a lot of treatment options available for me.  I am currently having tests to see if I am eligible for a clinical trial.  When I saw my consultant last she said my prognosis is terminal with a timescale of a few months to 18 months (I asked).  So here I am.....

i seem to be carrying on as normal, is that normal? I’ve stopped work and I feel like I’m on holiday.  Every so often I have a good cry but some times I am pottering around quite happily.  I’m 48 so had hoped I’d be around a bit longer - but then I remember I’ve had a lucky life, and some people don’t get that.

anyway I’m waffling, so i’ll Go.  Any advice for how to live while dying (can I say that here, apologies if I upset anyone), would be much appreciated.  And I hope you are all having a lovely Sunday morning

heather x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

What a lovely bunch you are, thank you so much for the support.  I had a read of some of your profiles and am in awe of some of your stories.

the trial I hope to get on is called Peacocc, and is run by Dr K from UCL - it looks as though some of you may know her.

wishing you all a.good nights sleep x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi

Dr K! I freely admit to being slightly in love with her. She’s amazing. 

Xx

• Well yes, Heather (Roobarb) & Daloni, I like the sound of the leaky boat. Definitely sounds better that "a sinking ship" lol! Anyway, isn't everyone dying, whether they've been told or not!! Night night! 

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Good morning Roobarb, it's lovely to 'meet' you. Although as others have said, I'm sorry it has to be here, this group has been a lifeline for me and I hope you'll find the same.

I prefer 'leaky boat' to 'sinking ship' too! 

It's so hard for people to know what to say to those of us with a terminal diagnosis. The natural desire to make things better is kindly meant, but I find minimising the situation the most unhelpful. Why not just say I'm sorry you're sick, or even I don't know what to say?

I get that we are all dying, but we are not all in the same boat. Some people here are fighting for their lives along the way, dealing with difficult treatments, awful side effect and scary complications. I remember being told that having an incurable cancer diagnosis is like having a second job, and at times it's all consuming. I'm sure the same is true for anyone living with a chronic illness, I've seen the struggles of friends with Parkinson's and MS.

I've been lucky enough to have good spells of being well and stable, and hope to get back to that place for a while. At times I've panicked because I'm not making the most of every moment, training for a marathon or raising lots of money for charity!!!

Appreciating the simple things and living in the moment have really helped. Planning things to look forward to from lunch with friends to weekends away make a huge difference.

As Daloni said, doing the necessary admin and forward planning has been very comforting for me, although it's not for everyone. Trying not to waste time worrying about things I have absolutely no control over is a mind set and can be challenging at times.

I'm rambling now, but every time something has brought me to my knees, it's been the support and understanding from this group that has got me back on my feet. Best of luck xx

• Dr K is the one who turned my situation around too - very grateful for her, she was fab.