Long time no post ...

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 14 replies
  • 42 subscribers

hi everyone, I havent posted for a while but change in diagnosis has me feeling het up, I realise so many of you are so much worse off and I’m still lucky enough to be working full time but I feel so tired and wound up all the time, looking for help & advice, cancer has now increased in Liver, chest wall & bones, im just so tired and fed up and cross i feel like this help me get my mojo back

• Hi Annette,

I do agree with your post but just wanted to clarify my retirement.  Although I was over fifty when I retired, I retired early on medical grounds and as such I do not believe that there is a lower age limit?  So far as I am aware if you have been a member of the scheme for a qualifying period (over two years in my case) then retirement on medical grounds applies if you meet the medical criteria.  There are a three grades depending if you might return to work in a different role due to incapacity, if you will not return to work for three years and again possibly in a different role or if you are never expected to work again.

I retired on the basis that would not work again and rather than just paying me the pension I had paid in to date it paid me as if I had paid my full contributions to age 67 including the lump sum.  As such I received the amount that I was advised in my annual statement that I would have built up by my full retirement age (minus a small amount for the estimated interest over that period as obviously it has not been earned yet.)

This is why I always advise people to consult the experts about their individual circumstances as it is quite complex, the difference for me between a normal early retirement and retirement on medical grounds was significant.  The helpline advised me about this before I even talked to my employer which enabled me to make sure I knew what was likely to happen when I did talk to my employer.  They also advised me about benefits at the same time as my concerns were largely about the financial position.  I waited about a year before I finally made the decision to apply for the early retirement.

Similar to dealing with our cancer, knowing what is going on and what your options are gives you choices and as such a measure of control.  I found that the helpline staff had been through this process so many times with so many people that they knew which areas to ask about in my life where I was not even aware that I had options.  Initially I did not know that I could get disability benefits whilst I was still working, they asked me about my accommodation, my employment my travel and other things that I cannot now remember.  They know about banks and services which give special consideration to cancer patients and additional assistance that you can get.

I do agree with you that it is important that whoever you are talking to can get the full information about your circumstances as this clarifies what is available.  I also think that you are correct in asking what Bartki's colleagues would say, my ex-colleagues have always been very supportive of my decision to leave.  Several of my ex-colleagues have subsequently retired or moved on themselves and there are lots of new faces at my old office but I am amazed when I do drop in that they are all aware of who I am as I am still referred to (in a nice way I think?) in conversations in the office.  I meet up with both current and ex-staff and get invited to birthday do's, the works Xmas night out as well as after works drinks. 

love and hugs,

Gragon xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Thanks so much, such wise advice & helpful, means alot to have people that ‘get it’ to talk too, I am very blessed with fantastic hubby who i’ve been with 33 years, gorgeous 7 year old briard puppy, fabulous family of my Dad n sister lost mum 3 years ago to Kidney failure & cancer, fab outlaws and amazing friends so I really cant complain but still nice to have people that truly get the ups & downs that is the roller coaster of cancer.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Gragon

Thank you so much, something I hadnt really considered, i turn 50 next year and have been hoping I live long enough to pay off mortgage & then retire but that is 5 years away and I don’t know if I have the energy for that, I am usually a positive person and I dont want to lose that or jeopardise quality life & family time for Work as much as I like my job, everyone has been so lovely & helpful & its making me feel better to know I have choices. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you, haha your comment made me laugh, i’m sure no one has said that and I definitely won’t be, I think I need to make some phone calls, so grateful for the support. X