Alternative “medicines”

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 41 subscribers

Hi 

my name is Karen, I’m 54 and found 4 weeks ago I have oesophageal cancer. Last Thursday I was told PER scan and biopsy has shown it’s spread and is incurable 

i am now willing to try anything and have seen some videos.. and saw Joy Smith on This morning video which suggests some alternate drugs can be helpful 

i wondered if anyone has any experience 

karen

• Hey there Karen,

It is the stance of Macmillan that discussion or promotion of alternative medicines isn't helpful and can confuse and hurt people who believe whatever is being touted and so stop their treatments that could save or prolong their lives. So they don't allow discussions about alternative medicines on site.

They do have the following information available though, and maybe there's something new in there you've not read yet.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/coping/complementary-therapies/complementary-therapies-explained/complementary-alternative-therapies.html

However, complimentary medicines that go hand in hand with treatment are fine to be discussed, and there are a few people here who are trying a few different things down that vein that I'm sure they'd be happy to discuss with you if you were interested?

Lass

XX

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Karen!

I'm so sorry you had such devastating news. Lass is right, there are all sorts of people making unproven claims about this that and the other, and because we'll latch onto any straw of hope, the risk is that we're just exploited by their marketing. However, I also agee with Lass that complementary therapies can cheer us up and make us feel better. If you go to a Macmillan Unit for consultations or treatment, you may well find some advertised there. I haven't tried any myself since my diagnosis, although I did have some aromatherpay many years ago. Unfortunately, the therapist wanted to convert me to her world-view, which I found unacceptable. The aromatherapy was quite pleasant, and for some time, I would float aromatherpay oils in my bath. 

Do let us know how you get on, 

All best wishes, Pocita

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

I am so sorry you have had this devastating news - but a warm welcome to the community. I hope you will find people here who know where you’re coming from and a virtual shoulder to cry on when you need it. And we all do. 

My view is the same as Lass and Pocita. There are so many alternative, unproven and sometimes dangerous “cures” being touted to vulnerable people. It’s scary when you hear oncologists’ stories about people they have seen who could have been cured of their early stage cancer but who turn instead to alternatives and find they don’t work, only to turn to conventional medicine when it’s too late. 

I am, however, ready to try anything and everything that might make me feel better or happier or more comfortable. I have a nice essential oil evaporator, for example, and fill my room with lavender or frankincense before I go to sleep. I have massages from a specially trained massage therapist. I use meditation to manage anxiety and feeling down. I walk and swim and do yoga when I’m able. I know plenty of people who swear by acupuncture for pain relief. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I'm on my second last option before conventional treatment fails me. At that point I'll be taking all the cannabis, apricot kernels, vitamin c, mumbo jumbo beans and anything else that I can get my hands on.

Sadly it doesn't look like here would be the place to talk about that, but once conventional medicine is done I think it's fair enough. 

I actually have thc oil and cbd oil in the house, but I won't take them alongside my immunotherapy as its too much of a risk that they will have an adverse effect on each other.