Cancer care in France

• 4 replies
  • 3 subscribers
Hi all, I am currently undergoing treatment for breast cancer in Lyon at the fantastic Leon Berard Cancre Centre. Just had second operation and waiting for rads. For those in France there is a terrific cancer support network for English speakers 'cancer support France'. They have been a wonderful help to me during the chemo which I had to go to alone. The hospital staff were simply wonderful, the nurses so caring I was embarrassed and my lovely surgeon and totally bi-lingual oncologist have made this terrible experience bearable. Carol
  • Hello Carol

I hope you are progressing well. I too am in France. I had an operation to remove a tumour in my colon In July 2015 and completed 6 months of chemo six weeks ago at the new hospital at Carcassonne. I am slowly getting back to feeling more normal after suffering some nasty side effects. I have a scan tomorrow morning so hoping for the best.

But I cannot praise enough the care I have received here. 

Edith

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to edythuk

Hello,

I have had cancer and had chemo the operation [removal of womb tubes etc] and Radiotherapy, all in the UK and am waiting to have a scan in August to see its all gone, The question I want to know if you don't mind is.

I will need health insurance as I'm 57yrs, and have rung round in UK but they don't want to cover me or wont commit to covering me if I have anymore cancer problems.

How did you get on with insurance?

I'm not rich so I have to know roughly the price per month before we buy and move out to France if its to expensive we cant come to France.

Thank you

• Hello Karen

Before this year if you came to live permanently in France before UK retirement age you would need private health insurance. However from January 1st anyone who is resident in France can join the health system here. I got this information from the following article which I assume to be correct. You have fill in a form and prove residence by utility bills etc.

https://www.renestance.com/french-health-insurance-for-everyone/

This will give you the same cover as any French person (65% of costs are reimbursed). You then take out top up insurance which pays the rest, apart from some dental care and spectacles and small extra costs depending on the insurance you choose. Insurance companies are not allowed to charge extra for pre-existing conditions and must by law accept everyone. The cost rises with age but will be reasonable for someone of 57! (I moved here 12 years ago as a pensioner and entered the system as it was then so I have no first-hand experience of the above new rule.)

There are about 20 long-term illnesses (including cancer) which are covered 100% by the government without having to have top-up insurance. And the care is wonderful. They stint on nothing. They provide a free taxi/ambulance to and from the hospital for any treatment you need, the local village nurse comes in to provide any care you need at home, all prescriptions are covered.

Do your research and plan your move well. Good luck with it all.

Edith

• Hello Carol,

I'm also being treated for breast cancer  in Villefranche-sur-Saone hospital which is in a partnership with Leon Berard.  I agree, French healthcare is great.  I have been going to LB for some medical appointments.  Thank you for the advice about English speaking help.  I've been here for 9 years and am fluent in French but it's good to know.  Sometimes it's good to find English speakers going through this.  I'm 36 and it's hard...