Secondary care in Spain

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 3 subscribers

Hi, I'm new. Does anyone know if there is any secondary support for cancer care/chemo/pain management care in Spain?

Is there an equivalent Macmillan nurse scheme?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi there

I live in Spain and at the moment and am being treated for anal cancer. I live in the NW Murcia area. There is no district nurses or after care here,the Spanish rely on family. In my area there is a charity called MABS they have been very helpful to expats with cancer . The expat newpapers are full of information of local charities.

Good luck,and to your relation with cancer             Annie

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    I also live in Southern Spain nr American, I don't know of any support groups our way. My husband is suffering with cancer, treatment is brilliant but no back up.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember
    Hi - I live near Torrevieja in Alicante and had surgery to remove a rectal tumour four weeks ago. Here we have a few different charity groups, including the AECC. They have a volunteer service in Torrevieja Hospital which includes a psychologist, who is great. I have found the medical care to be excellent but they only tell you one step at a time, so I have called the Macmillan helpline several times, which was excellent. The AECC have some good info on their website but I think most of it is in Spanish, so I tend to use Macmillan again when I need info.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

How's it going clair     I'm living in Spain too.

Wanna chat ?       Tora-p

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, have you tried the AECC (the biggest Spanish cancer charity) They have excellent support for patients and carers too.

I’m up in north Spain. Happy to help with anything else if you need. I don’t want to assume you don’t speak Spanish but if you don’t I can help with translating anything you can’t read x

• Hi , I have just finished treatment in Torrevieja for anal cancer in January. I still have after effects that are not pleasant! but get no answers as to whether this is normal or not. Did you find this?

• I live in Valencia, and I have found the same. Great medical care. Little or no support.