Support for Uncle in Greece

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 2 subscribers

Hello and I hope this is posted i  the right place. 

My Uncle (59) has been living in Greece for years with his wife and just before COVID he was diagnosed with brain cancer. His treatment has been good but his symptoms are getting worse and his wife is starting to struggle to cope with his care needs. They are worried his health has deteriorated too much to return  to the UK but are trying to work out if that is possible. 

So far they have not been able to access any non-medical support from a community nurse for example. Has anyone had any experience of hiring an external carer in Greece or a similar country. If they can't access one locally would is be ridiculous to try and recruit one from the UK to stay with them for the little time he has left? 

Any advice or experiences would be greatly received. 

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that your aunt is struggling to care for your uncle and that they haven't had any success finding someone to help care for him.

Are there any charity organisations in Greece that they could ask for help from or an expat community that could tell them where they can access care from?

I think the only way you'll find out if anyone from the UK is prepared to work in Greece caring for your uncle is to advertise but I wouldn't have a clue where you'd start with this.

I'm sorry that this isn't the answer you're hoping for but it's all I can think of Disappointed

It might be an idea to give the Macmillan Support Line a call and speak to one of their advisors to see if they are aware of any organisation in Greece that helps care for people with cancer. It's free to call them on 0808 808 0000 and they're available every day from 8am to 8pm.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"