life after Bowel cancer, Bradford Score when returning to work

• 2 replies
  • 31 subscribers

so with my cancer treatment I returned to work last year after my chemo. had phased returned it all feels like a blur from May 23 

I know my body is not how it used to be I get frequent pains in my left side and lower back of right side,i have supportive partner what is most difficult for me is when im off sick at work we go through the Bradford score.

I feel guilty for being off sick  I have a return to work meeting with supervisors and then another with clinical lead if its noticed that your off to many times from last year.

either gastro, or infections 

I believe my body is healing and I am totally embarrassed I have to keep going over this Bradford score. this actually stresses me out more.

I went into work with a bad gum infection until I couldn't bare it no more.

I am posting this because I wish I could shout out and say I can not help being off sick.

so I am nearly 60.

is there any information that I can pass on about life after cancer and deal with the Bradford score,i have spoken to my supervisors about this they say it is policy and not to worry about it 

yes im having a polite rant.

Unfortunately I can not retire.

so I would be really appreciated for any advice.

• Hi  and welcome across to this little corner of the community.

The experiences that you are describing are some of the many challenges that are not often on our radar when we go into and through cancer treatments.

I think that employers are able to deal with someone receiving a cancer diagnosis and indeed the treatment part of a journey..... but once you are through treatment and told you are in remission or all clear....... this will be the point where they (employers) find it hard to appreciate that there is a different level of challenges experienced by their employees.

You should never feel any guilt because the challenges of your treatment journey have left you with lasting after effects and I think that employers are not well equipped to deal with this in a way that is supportive and empathetic.

You may find it helpful to make a cuppa and have a look at this great paper After Treatment Finishes - Then What? by Dr Peter Harvey as it highlights the post treatment milestones.

I know that many folks who have come through this little group have printed the paper and given it to their HR department or line managers as a tool to help them understand the journey they are on.

I was diagnosed in 1999 age 44 with a rare (8 in a million), hard to treat, incurable type of Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma......... I continued to work for 12 years in a very demanding teaching job and was able to organise my teaching schedule around my treatments........ this was initially challenging as the University HR System was not able to think past their 'system'......... but me highlighting the Equality Act 2010 and the fact that If you have (or have ever had cancer) the law considers this a disability and reasonable accommodation and changes had to be provided...... this got them on edge as they did not want to be dragged down the legal side of discrimination by my union.

My condition became aggressive in 2011 so I commuted my pension (lost part of it) and I retired at 55..... this meant a lot of changes to our lifestyle and out outgoings but it had to be done..... 

I don't know anything about the 'Bradford Score' system but you may want to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 and talk with our Work Support Team and see if they can help you out.

Always around to chat.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Flower123

I had never heard of the Bradford Score so looked it up. It sounds like a nightmare. Unfortunately looks like your HR are committed to it as a way of checking out sick days and their impact on work production.

I was very lucky as they did not do this where I used to work and HR were very sympathetic and happy for me to do a phased return to work.I continued on working there until I retired at 65 with no issues. Unfortunately you can't change your H.R.'s policy. Do you have a union rep. that you could chat to about it and get some advice. A lot of work places have a counseling service you can be referred to. Would that be worth considering?

Your supervisors have said not to worry about it so that sounds promising. At least they seem to understand your situation.

Hope things can be resolved satisfactorily for you.

Lyn

Sophie66