Why do I feel so low and depressed now I’m cancer free

• 14 replies
  • 37 subscribers

I had estrogen positive breast cancer last year, two operations, radiotherapy and now five years of hormone treatment. It’s a biggie but not as big as some have it. I’m clear. I’m back to work. The pot is off my leg so I should be all fixed and be normal again. But I’m not and I don’t understand why. Yes I am so relieved that I’ve had a narrow escape and my life is returning to normal in every way but why do I feel so absolutely full of hopelessness and depression. A few weeks ago I thought suddenly everything in my head had turned a corner and finally I saw the way forward and now equally now I find myself in some horrible pit of desolation. It makes no sense. I say I’m ok as it lets everyone off the hook of dealing with a post cancer person and avoids any conversations I don’t want to have. And them. I long to be on my own so I can cry in peace. This is not me. These past few days have been torture and I feel like I don’t understand anything anymore. I expected to be me again after cancer then I realised I’m not and that ok but what’s going on now. I’m floundering in an unfamiliar world and nothing is what I thought it would be. How do I come to the surface to breathe air again rather than just wanting to drown..?

• The highlanderI love the questions you've posed here. Interestingly enough I'm already on a journey to find a new me or at least the real version as opposed to the one my mother proposed to the world (narcissistic, controlling, gaslighting and dead many years now-ovarian cancer).   I plan to do some writing as oppose to just thinking as I'm a practical person at heart even if I've been lost for so long (depression and anxiety fir 20 years)

X

• Wow Super63 you are saying just what I'm feeling.  I finished my treatment at the end of August, had 3 month scans showing an active lymph node - yes I am sure it's most likely a reaction to a shoulder injury but...

That feeling of knowing for sure I'm going to get secondary cancer soon and due overwhelms me, so many tears.   Cry

• A good number of people have benefited from doing the initial exercise and went on to put more thought and commitment into each area resulting in significant progress and life changes Thumbsup

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge