Stoma reversal and parastomal hernia repair

• 4 replies
  • 34 subscribers

I have finally had the call today saying I’ve been booked for the 25th May to have reversal and repair Pray I’m so pleased as it’s been awful time carrying this ‘melon’ sized hernia around….will not miss bags at all.

has anyone got advice on recovery time or things to be aware of?

• Hi  

I’m not sure if you are aware of the stoma group in the community? The link is here-

Stoma Discussion Group

Within the group there is a sub group which is specifically for stoma reversals (Living Well with Stoma Reversal)  and there is a lot of advice and discussion here from people who have had the reversal and gone through the recovery period. I hope you will find it very helpful. 

Good luck for your forthcoming surgery-I’m sure you will get huge relief from having such a big hernia repaired! 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Sasue

Glad to hear that your operation is booked and you’re sounding very happy about it 

I had a simple reversal so my knowledge is limited to that. It’s not an invasive or long operation i fact I was fitted in at the end of the day. 
    I was home the next day to recover

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi  Sasue,

Good to hear that you are getting your reversal and hernia repair. I had the same problem and the repair and reversal were done September 2020, One bit of advice concerns the hernia repair. It will probably be done by stitching rather than mesh and will take time to heal, so no lifting or straining, take it easy and listen to your body. I probably tried to do too much and still had twinges for a long time.

Regarding the reversal, it didn't take long and I was only in for two nights. There is quite a lot on the forum about getting used to the new you and worth reading people's experiences. You need to do the core exercises to help keep control.  It will take time for your bowel to get used to working again but it will improve with time. I took probiotics to help re-populate the gut.

I hope all goes well, if you have any questions after the reversal post again, there are plenty of people who can help.

John

• Hi Sadie iv just come across your post about a reversal and parastomal hernia repair, how are you getting on?

At the moment I’m just going in this Tuesday for a pre assessment for a sigmoidscope, but after reading lots about leaking, diarrhoea I’m not sure I really want to go through with it.

iv always suffered with my bowels as regards to constipation so having the stoma has really helped me, the parastomal I absolutely hate and definitely want this repaired, just don’t really know if it’s worth what seems like a lot of grief and negatively impacting on my life!!

hope all is working out for you 

Laura