Stoma Reversal

• 16 replies
  • 30 subscribers

Hi Folks, I had my ileostomy on September 12th and I am scheduled for a stoma reversal on December 5th, I am delighted to be getting the reversal but just wondering if anyone has advice on healing times on the reversal and how they felt once it was done? Anything i can do or not do to help with a speedy recovery. I have a holiday planned too are there any insurance companies that people would recommend? I have looked online but Stoma reversal is not one of the conditions that I can put down ( they only seem to have a spot for getting a stoma but not a reversal. Thanks in advance x

• Hi Ali Bali

That sounds like good news that you're getting a reversal so quickly.  I'm not reversed so I can't offer any advice on healing times but I do know that it's important to do the pelvic floor exercises to help with control afterwards. You should maybe also check with your team on how soon you'll be allowed to travel.

For insurance, I used Staysure.  When I added ileostomy as a condition, they also had ileostomy reversal as an option.

Good luck with the reversal.

• Thanks Blueblue I have been doing my pelvic floors for the last week and will keep them up. How have you found travel with your ileostomy?

• It's good that you're doing the exercises in advance as it should make a big difference after the reversal.

I've been abroad twice now - just back from Spain earlier this week.  The first trip was quite stressful as it was just a few months after my initial surgery.  I had only just found a pouch that worked for me a couple of weeks earlier so was terrified of leaks and couldn't really relax.  This second time was much, much better though.  The flight was easy, we did lots of walking (around 50 miles in 5 days), I ate what I fancied and all was fine.  I still don't like strange toilets (most of the restaurant ones last week had automatic lighting which switched off after about 10 seconds! Or no proper lock on the door! LOL) but I'm sure it will get easier the more I do it.

I hope that you have somewhere nice planned for after the reversal. Something to look forward to.

• Hi there Ali Bali 

Are you three months from a LAR? 
    We are all individual with our treatments,  so if you are fine with your BMs then it should be plane sailing. 
    I’ve had a reversal and it’s going really well  I am not sure that insurance is a problem it’s more how you are managing  

I’ve cancelled my Christmas plans but I  may be in a different place than you are  I couldn’t make a ten hour trip to see my grandchildren because of finding a toilet  

Your trip could be very manageable 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Oh that's such a shame, Ann.  You'll be so disappointed.  Are they able to come to you?

• Thanks BlueBlue. 
    The worst part was telling the grandchildren they were upset. 
    I have a nodule on my lung and a scan booked for Nov 25th. My brother is staying with us over Christmas and I feel that I need to stay home this year. We can go over to see them when I’m fit and clear of any treatment that may be needed. I didn’t tell my son about the nodule and left it that I’m not fit to travel. It takes ten hours door to door so he accepted that. 
    My daughter her partner and my brother will be here so I will be busy, I have gone to Ireland Boxing Day before but I haven’t got the energy this year. 
    My son could fly over but hasn’t mentioned it. He has threatened it a few times since our diagnosis but as yet no show. 
    I think he thinks we are invincible. Bless. 
    Im hopeful that the nodules nothing but you know what it’s like once you have a Cancer diagnosis everything is the Ghouls return. I only have to get a bloody twinge and that’s it. Cancer. It’s a haunting disease. 
    How’s you Blue blue?

xx

Ann
     ‍Art

• Oh, I do feel for you Ann, especially over the wee ones being upset as that's probably made you more upset than anything else that's going on.  I know that you'll feel so anxious about the scan too - as you say, the anxiety never really goes away, it just bubbles along below the surface.  I'm sending you positive thoughts though and I'll be thinking of you on the 25th.  Hopefully by Christmas you'll have some good news to share with the family and be able to start planning a trip to Ireland. I agree with what you say about your son though. Mine seemed to think that once the op was over and done with then that's that!

All fine here. We had that wee break in Spain last week which went well and was really nice.  Good weather, lovely hotel and lots of walking! We're going to be grandparents again too - an IVF baby this time, due in March.  The only blot on the landscape is the dreaded 6 monthly check-up which is due soon. I expect the blood tests will be done in December as I have a telephone appointment with the cancer nurse on 3rd January. Trying not to think of it as there are other much nicer things to concentrate on.

Take care (both you and your husband) xx

• Congratulations on the new baby on the way. Spring will be lovely. 
    Spains lovely October we are normally there April and early October 

I totally agree that placing the screening to the back of your minds the best way. 
    Take care 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi Artsie Ann, nice to hear from you again. Sorry not sure what LAR is? I have read some horror stories about people having to go to the 30-40 times per day for the first few weeks and having many many accidents! Also so much conflicting info about what diet to follow, some saying high fibre some saying low? Also a lot of stories about people having accidents through the night. I was so pleased to be told I could get the reversal and now I’m questioning if it’s the right thing to do. The thought of being on a plane or in a hotel room and losing control of my bowels is a terrifying thought xxx

• Sorry just read you had to cancel Xmas plans and are getting a  scan on 25th. Sending positive thoughts and have fingers toes and everything crossed that all goes well.