TAMIS or Anterior resection

• 13 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi, i’d be interested in people’s experience with either, these are the two options available to me.

If the tamis doesn’t get it all then i’d probably be due for the resection, on the other hand tamis could be fine.

Tamis seems the easier option as i’m anxious about going under, and actually had the procedure to remove polyps already so it’s familiar, i’ve never had general anaesthetic so nervous about that also.

Could i be worse off if i don’t have the resection, that’s supposed to be the better option, but the thought of having a stoma grosses me out, having a pipe coming out of me, sleeping with the bag, complications, leaking bag etc..

Still unsure what to do at this stage, welcome your feedback 

• Hi  and welcome to our group.

I can’t help with your question about your particular surgeries as mine was different, but I do have a permanent colostomy after rectum removal so I do have experience of that.

I wondered where you’d got your information from about stomas or if you’ve ever spoken to anyone who has one? What is it that grosses you out about it? I don’t have a “pipe” coming out of my body so I’m not sure where that information has come from. My stoma actually doesn’t protrude from my body at all-it’s completely flat.

Yes, you sleep wearing a bag, but I don’t notice mine-I use a particularly neat one and while it can very occasionally come away from my body if I have a lot of output, that’s rare and easily changed for a clean bag. I’ve had zero complications with my colostomy in the 4.5 years I’ve had it, and I also have a urostomy to deal with so am a double bagger. You soon get used to dealing with any stoma and it becomes second nature.

You may want to post too in the bowel group to see if there are others with experiences of your potential surgeries who could give you some advice. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Sarah, i don’t have any information on stomas that’s why i took to his page in particular but will look into your suggestion only joined today.

Had a quick google at pictures of stomas and not quite what i expected.

• I saw a few pictures from the stoma nurses before mine were formed, but mine turned out to be nothing like the pictures! Stomas can have a spout, but this is not a pipe-luckily neither of mine do as I prefer my skin to be flat. 

I had no choice but to have two stomas in order to save my life, and to be honest didn’t do any research beforehand as I just thought I’d learn as I went along, so I didn’t have any preconceived view of them. I look on them now as just going to the loo in a different way from most people. 

For the most part, I don’t notice the two bags unless I’m changing them, I wear the same clothes as I did before, and regularly travel abroad. Sometimes they leak, but it’s rare, they don’t smell, they don’t give me any issues.

I personally went for whatever option gave me the best chance of success.  In my case it was surgery as opposed to chemo, but you need to decide between 2 different surgeries so that’s different. Look at the pros and cons of both options, seek advice from others, and ultimately you have to be happy with whatever decision you make. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• Thanks, i was due a call back today from how but didn’t happen to do exactly that, wanted to get more information on both procedures and the possible outcome 

• Most people are in the dark about stomas, bowels and bags; I certainly was before this cancer lark got in the way of things. Now I have an ileostomy and a colostomy, both in good working order and needing to be changed every 48 hours. Beforehand I imagined some sort of mechanical outlet would be installed, with a tube leading to a bag somehow suspended on my lower body. It is much simpler and more convenient than that and there are advantages as well as disadvantages over more ordinary mortals; never having to rush to the lavatory being one. As for leaks, I had a few in the early days but there is a wide range of stoma supplies from various international manufacturers that solve the problem, albeit by trial and error. I never realised just how many people wear ostomy pouches for different reasons and my stoma nurse told me that there were over 100 such people in the area of the small rural town where I live (I have no idea who they are).

Look on a stoma as being an essential part of the treatment if it is deemed to be a requirement and settle into a routine for day to day maintenance; there is really not much to it but one does need the support from one's GP in approving the supplies recommended by the stoma nurse (who seem to have some authority amongst the colorectal team at the hospital).

Dulac

• Hi  

It’s very true that few of us were in any way familiar with stomas until we ended up with them! 

I think it can be helpful to think of the stoma as part of you, especially since it is formed from our own anatomy. It’s just that we don’t normally see what is inside of us and now we do, but as there are no nerve endings in the colon, we don’t actually feel it. I find mine actually quite fascinating in a weird sort of way.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

• I had stoma following surgery to remove a tumour, it was temporary but I had the stoma for 14 months before it was reversed as I had to have chemo after surgery.

it was something I got used to, surprisingly very quickly.  It is fascinating and I did say ‘goodbye and thank you’ before my reversal surgery.

it’s something you get used to. 

the group here has been amazing and helped me with my never ending questions.

i wish you well

• Thanks for the reply, i’m just getting to grips with the thought of having a procedure what ever one i chose, never had general anaesthetic before so trying to get my head round it. People rave about it, but it’s the concept for me, doubt you’ll probably care at the time.

Especially if you’re up at silly o clock for the prep, and i’d ask for a sedative beforehand.

• You’ll be just fine 

I’d never been in hospital before let alone had any operations, I was petrified.

When you get there you’ll be well looked after and you’ll just put your trust in the people who are there to care for you.

the prep bit isn’t pleasant but it’s all part of it to make you better

you take care 

• Yes, exactly that, i’d say i’m petrified, and wonder how I’ll feel on the other side of this, and i know the guy doing the procedure is the best. I just need to get over it. I done the prep before as already had some polyps removed. Thanks for the reply.