Ileostomy output advice please

• 13 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hi, my mum has recently had ileostomy surgery (2 weeks ago). The hospital advised to eat a low fibre, bland diet for the first few weeks and eat smaller meals more often. My mum has been following this advice and the sample meal plans down to a tee and avoiding everything it says to. However for the past couple of nights the output has been loose and more frequent. This only seems to happen during nighttime/early hours, for most part of the day the output is thicker.
Can anyone advise where we are going wrong/what the issue may be? It’s worrying as we’re trying rehydration drinks but my mum is starting to lose weight, so we really want to stop this and put weight on her.
Thanks in advance x

• Hi  

While you cannot give your number out on the forum, it’s perfectly ok to give this to another forum member by private message.

To do this, click on the member’s name which is in bold at the top of their post. That takes you to their page, and you will see a green button saying “connect”. If you press on this you can click to send a friend request. The other member will receive a notification and once they accept you can message each other.

Hope this helps get you in touch with each other.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• I’m back again looking for more guidance please Relieved (thank God for Macmillan and this forum).

My mum has been experiencing indigestion type feelings and stomach ache, ive told her we need to go and seek medical advice but she won’t and is sure it will pass.

She’s had indigestion/wind type pain which comes and goes but today she seems in more pain with it.

Looking at her diet today she’s had 3x pieces of white bread and lasagne, so she’s putting the blame on the carbs, but I’m not so sure. 

Is it common to experience these types of feelings after an ileostomy? We just don’t know what’s normal and not.

I know I’ll probably be told to seek medical advice, and we will if it perseveres (or sooner if I can persuade my mum) but just wanted to see if anyone had had similar experiences on here first as I’ve already had a lot of help and reassurance on here.

thank you x

• Hi  

I’m sorry you haven’t had any replies here to your most recent question and I’m sorry I can’t help, But your mum has had her surgery so recently that things do take time to settle down.

It’s common to have all sorts of different feelings and discomfort after having a stoma, but the advice would always be to seek medical advice if you are concerned.I know you must be feeling very anxious after what your mum’s been through, so maybe reassurance from her CNS might be enough to help you through?

I hope things have settled down since you last posted.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm