Can anyone remove my mum from a care home?

• 1 reply
  • 28 subscribers

My mum is on End of Life in a care home. Her sister and sisters daughter, who have been absent for a number of years have recently reconnected with her given her diagnosis. 

They have now told her they are going to take her out the care home and move her in with another niece. Is this something they can do without being next of kin or having POA? They've said similar before but it felt more like giving hope whereas this feels like they have an actual plan and they haven't even mentioned it to me, her daughter - despite my mum asking them to discuss with me first. 

They've been showering her and doing laundry which feels like the care homes responsibility - is this something I should speak with the care home about? 

Very worried they are going to take advantage of her. 

• Hi M5G welcome to the forum. No one can remove your mum at all without NOK or POA consent. Please speak urgently to the Care Home and get them to document your decisions and that you have POA and they must speak to you and discourage any such discussions with your  m. it must be very unsettling for your mum to have people telling her these things and she sounds like she had already said to speak to you but I wonder if you could have a chat with them away from your Mum and ask them to stop this chat as it is upsetting your mum? The other thing to do is to maybe give the Macmillan Line a call and speak to the welfare advisors there as they may be able to offer further  guidance for you. 08088080000.  

gail

Community Champion Badge