Give it a try….

• 4 replies
  • 6 subscribers

I’ve always been a “crafter” and love all different crafts, card making, scrap booking, knitting, crochet, felt decorations to name a few. Since my husband’s diagnosis of incurable lung cancer I have found crafting even more helpful. On days when I feel I could just sit and cry I take myself off and craft for a few hours. It doesn’t change things but it clears my mind for a bit. 
I know many people say “Oh I’m not creative” or “I can’t make anything, I always make a mess or mistakes” but one of my favourite quotes is “There are no mistakes in crafting there is only originality “!!!! 

So my advice, for what it’s worth is “Give it a try”!!!!!! 

Grasan

• I completely agree with you.  Being focused on something crafty doesn't allow room for any other thoughts and is very meditative and relaxing.  Learning something new like another language or a musical instrument has the same effect.

• Hello Grasan

I totally agree with you. I studied Art and have always liked drawing. However six years ago I had a major trauma and there’s no way I could think of anything else let alone draw. I went on YouTube and learned to crochet first right handed. Then with my preferred left hand. Everyone had hats and scarves. They got more elaborate. Then blankets. I was obsessed with it as it’s just so easy to pick up having only one stitch to worry about. Unlike knitting.

I picked it up again recently a friend visited loved my rug and she’s been so supportive I knew the only present she could have was hand made with love  

just wrapped it up  

Craftings great 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hello Artsie Ann

I love that you used YouTube to learn to crochet, my youngest daughter did the same!!! As I’m of an “older” generation I have to confess that I learnt to knit from instructions and pictures in Children’s Britannica Encyclopaedia!!!!!! And a neighbour taught me to crochet when I was about 10 years  old.

Until Covid hit us I used to have a little Crafty Chatter group at my house on Tuesday evenings (just a small group of friends) and for some of them who had never crocheted, made cards etc it was really nice to help them and see them grow in confidence with crafts. Admittedly some evenings were more chatter than craft as my husband often points out. So now we just do a Zoom session every few weeks to show off what we’ve done and swap ideas and advice. 

My eldest daughter studied Art to A-level and then branched into computer aided design, my youngest is a very confident crocheter and loves lots of other crafts. She has recently though achieved her dream as they have moved to a bigger house with some land and is now  happily building chicken “houses” and preparing to get sheep Scream. My dad was a carpenter and taught her about woodcraft and carpentry…. he would be so proud of her!!!!

I love encouraging others to try crafts especially those who say “Oh I could never do that” or “Mine would never look any good” because as I say “There are no mistakes in Art or Crafts only originality” 

Happy Crafting and enjoy the peace and pleasure it brings. 

Grasan

• Thanks for sharing. It’s sounds like creativity is in your genes. 
    I loved teaching art to the child in school that I worked with. I was a teaching assistant and ran art club after school. Did displays around around school it was all part of my work. The Gov phased that out wanting more office type working boards and that was time for me to retire. Thank goodness. I did not agree with it. 

Ann
     ‍Art