How do you tell people?

• 1 reply
  • 4 subscribers

I got diagnosed at 34 and quite recently too (Dec 22). My other half, and 2 of my friends know but how do I mention it to family etc. I’m getting really wound up about being asked to do everything at home, or being blamed for stuff. Sometimes it makes me feel like blurting it out thinking they’ll go easy on me and not expect me to jump when they say. But I don’t think it’ll make any difference, I don’t think I’ll be able to rest. 

• Hi,

I’m sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. I also found it difficult to talk about my cancer when I was diagnosed. I’m the kind of person that keeps their feelings to themselves so having to tell my friends and family about my diagnosis was very hard for me. I ended up not telling some of my friends until I was halfway through treatment and one or two until I was given the all clear- which I don’t recommend doing. I found the longer you leave it, the harder it is to tell someone. For me, I found it easier to tell people over text or the phone as it takes a bit of the pressure away. I think once you let more people know, the weight on your shoulders becomes lighter and you’ll perhaps find that people are more understanding with you not being able to do everything. If you’re finding it too much, talking to your friends and family is probably they best thing to do as they can’t help if they don’t know how you’re feeling. I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck with everything :)