Welcome to 'Diagnosed at a young age'...

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 15 replies
  • 4 subscribers

Hi all,

I’m Jimmy from the Online Community team, and I wanted to post here this evening to introduce you all to our revamped ‘Diagnosed at a young age’ group, previously known as ’16-24 and living with cancer’.

Being diagnosed with cancer at a young age often means you’ll face challenges that differ to those who sit under an older age bracket; you might feel it has a significant impact of your education, your career, dating and perhaps starting a family - to give but a few examples.

This group’s a place for young people diagnosed with cancer to talk through these specific concerns, and share their experiences with others of a similar age, facing or having faced the same challenges.

If you see a member on the site who you think might benefit from joining the group, give them a ‘nudge’ in this direction.

Thanks all,

Jimmy

Online Community Team

• Heya Hayley, 

38 here.... Had to think what age I was there for a minute! Found the lump when I was 30, diagnosed at 31 with incurable thyroid cancer. Most stats for thyroid cancer are for those in their 70's and 80's, so def young to be diagnosed, and exceptionally young to have the incurable Tag with the extensive spread I had. Fun fun. Lol

But yeh, classed as disabled due to the cancer in my spine affecting my bending, walking, and the pain I'm in. So I def have days where I'm walking like I'm in my 90s too, but doing what I can to reduce those!

Nice to 'meet' you!

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Hey Lass

I’m heading to my GP next week to see if they can refer me, just to check it’s nothing else. It seems to be getting worse, not better and I’m 3 months post chemo now. 

Definitely difficult being diagnosed young - the phased ‘it couldn’t happen to me’ was something I always thought & then it did. 

Nice to meet you too Blush

Hayley

• I'm presuming they've checked the obvious things like your Vitamin D levels? Sometimes it's so obvious, they overlook it! Lol

Fingers crossed they can find a fixable cause for you! 

L

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lass

Nope, not checked anything yet - just my oncologist advising arthralgia, hence why I’m planning on asking to be checked. The joint pains started about 3 days after my last chemo cycle and haven’t goPensive away Pensive

Hayley xx

• Silly doctors! Lol. 

Def ask the doc to do a full panel of bloods on you, and make sure Vitamin D is one of them while you're there asking for a referral somewhere.

If you've been having chemo, I'm presuming you've been staying in a lot, keeping away from people, especially over such a germy period! Then the weather hasn't been the nicest out either, so not inviting you to go out with at least lower arms and face uncovered! Lol. Then with chemo, it can sap the vitamins and minerals out of you, as well as reducing your appetite. So I really wouldn't be surprised if you've not had enough sun, or had enough in your diet. And joint/bone aches, especially in the legs, is one of the main signs of low vitamin D - as well as fatigue. I'm suffering with both myself at the min. 

Now obviously, aching bits and feeling tired could be all manner of things. They're not exactly uncommon symptoms, and pop up with all sorts. Lol. But docs often forget to check the Vit D levels, so always worth a question!

As I say, my fingers are crossed it's something easily found and fixable for you. Get you back a bit more quality of life and independence again!

Lass

Xx