Painful scalp while losing hair

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 36 replies
  • 12 subscribers

I got my hair cut the other week so it was short just above my neck and its been falling out ever since. I'm moulting all over the place.

My scalp has been feeling more tender every day and now it feels like it's been burnt in the sun even though I haven't been out much since my first chemo. 

I was reading online that it's best to shave to help ease the pain. 

Does shaving really help?

To shave or not to shave...umm 

I'm not too fussed if I should, would this be easier...?

Any thoughts and advice I'd love to hear them.

Thanks Sky xXx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Unknown said:

I got my hair cut the other week so it was short just above my neck and its been falling out ever since. I'm moulting all over the place.

My scalp has been feeling more tender every day and now it feels like it's been burnt in the sun even though I haven't been out much since my first chemo. 

Thanks Sky xXx

I have been down this road 3 times and shaving my head not only made me feel better because it broke my heart to watch it fall out it also made my scalp feel better.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

My hubby shaved mine to about 1/2inch all over it felt a lot better I wore bandanas most of the time but had a wig for going out I also got a couple of skull caps for bedtime . I found losing eyebrows and lashes worse . I wore hats never heard of heard going green either . Good luck on your journey be kind to yourself x

• Hi Sky, I started my chemotherapy treatment in December 2016 I tried the cold cap but unfortunately it didn't work for me. Finding clumps of hair on my pillow and clothes I decided to have my hair shaved off I opted for a really close shave think it was a number 2 I just had stubble but it felt so much better and my scalp stopped hurting too . I was very self conscious at first because I looked so different ( I looked a real thug) I also gently massaged acquous cream onto the stubble this helped stop my scalp from being dry . I've now finished all my treatment chemo & radiotherapy and my hair is growing back it felt quite scabby to start with but my chemo nurse suggested I use johnson & johnson baby shampoo this really helped. The thing that got me through losing my hair was being able to laugh at myself my family called me their Little crush egg, uncle Fester, and I'm now know as Kiwi Fruit . Good luck with your treatment . 

hugs  to you and all the other people going through treatment

love Witch

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Sky

Ive just had first chemo, but know I am going to lose my hair soon after the second one, so I have taken the leap, and going to have it shaved .  I'm turning it into a positive and raising funds for the Macmillan Nurses as well.  I want to be in control of the cancer and not it of me.  My daughter has decided she wanted to make it a unicorn Mohican with glitter etc first, before going for the whole chop.  I'm going to embrace it.   The choice has to be yours at the end of the day.   xx Kim

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I went to my usual hair dresser after hours with my husband. My hairdresser gradually cut my hair shorter and shorter, trying out new styles including some Hunger Games style patterns. It was great as I was able to see how I would look once my hair started to come back. It turned a trauma into a fun and kind of life affirming event.

I'm now 3 months post chemo and my hair has grown back (about a centimetre) steel grey. I have never had so many complements in my life!!

But I did have a wig while bald and it was great too.

Good luck

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Sky

I've now completed my chemo, 8 cycles of FEC/T

My hair started falling out 17 days after cycle one, it came out in clumps until I looked like I had mange!

I had my daughter take it off with clippers to a number one cut and it made such a difference

The pain and itching in my scalp got better very quickly and I used coconut oil as a massage treatment. It kept my scalp supple and moisturised and smelt nice too.

I had my treatment from Oct to Mar and although I did get a wig I only wore it on rare occasions as it irritated. I became expert at tying headscarves and had a fleece hat for walking the dog when it was cold.

My hair is now growing and has changed colour a bit, I am mostly white with a sprinkling of grey and I love it.

I plan to keep it quite short, very Annie Lennox like at the mo, had my first trim at a men's barbers ha ha

Good luck with your treatment and stay positive xxxx

Annie x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Unknown said:

Thanks Sky xXx

Hi Sky, I have been battling cancer for 3.5 years now and have experienced two lots of chemo and 40 sessions of radiotherapy and have completely lost my hair on two occasions. Prior to chemo I had my head shaved, it will come back. The first time it came back black and curly and I wore a wig, the second time it was black again but straight and this time I have ditched the wig and it is coming along nicely. To help it on it's way I use Plantur shampoo and tonic (white bottle) everyday and you can buy this in Boots the Chemist.

Best wishes, Morag x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Sky,

Sorry to learn your hair is falling out. Mine started to fall out after my second cycle. I was really alarmed at first but I had already bought a wig as my chemo team told me I would lose it. I always wear a hat when I go out in the garden and my wig when anywhere else.

I chose not to shave, my scalp does occasionally prickle but not enough to consider shaving. Is there anyway you could shave just a small patch to see if you get the relief you are seeking?

I can see there seem to be many more saying shave than saying don't. But only you can make the decision.

Best of luck, stay strong and positive,

Philly

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Sky,

I would recommend shaving your head. My partner gave me a gentle shave after I cut his hair, then we did a selfie. My scalp felt better, the sore bits cleared up quickly, and I didn't wear my wig all the time. Within one year I'm back to my previous style. It's a tough time but you will feel empowered by shaving. Thoughts are with you,

Julie

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Unknown said:

Thanks Sky xXx