Mum has small cell lung cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hiya everyone. Please bare with me as I'm new to this. January this year my mum was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer and its incurable. She's not very well and is very weak and tired. She's had two rounds of chemotherapy and on the third lot it had to be stopped because she had severe pains in her legs. Consultant thinks it could be paraneoplastic neuropathy. A scan was booked for this month but has been cancelled but I've managed to get that reinstated hopefully. After the scan we will have a telephone consultation from the consultant with the results and I'm terrified I'm mum's carer and this is so difficult for me to watch her go through this. I really don't know what to expect at all and it really scares me. We have district nurses in place that call my mum regular. We have also brought in carers to do a couple of night sits because my mum has trouble sleeping. My mum still has a little bit of mobility but is weak and lost alot of weight. Has anyone gone through any of this please just need some advice and a little bit of guidance on what to expect. Thank you for reading xx

• Hi and welcome to the community thought sorry to hear about your mother. My wife's cancer is also incurable. The first round of chemo she had did make her quite unwell but the doctors did manage to fix her back up and then the second chemo managed to render her cancer stable.

One of the problems we often face as our loved ones go through cancer treatment is the feeling of a lack of control and wanting to know what will happen, in reality of course nobody really knows what tomorrow will bring and often the only solution we can find is to take things one day at a time. I did a course on living with less stress that really helped me. You might like to read our guide on looking after someone with cancer.

Be kind to yourself and if you need any support we will try to help you as best we can.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to src60

Thank you for your reply Steve. I do take each day as it comes but I've blocked so much out and just carried on I think now that it's no good for me. Thank you for advice and I will have a good look at the guide. Thanks again