Caring for husband with head and neck cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi 

My husband has been battling cancer for over 30 years.

He had a toyal thyroidectomy before we met.

While we have been married he has had a relatively  good life and has had a physical job .

6 years ago he had radiotherapy for a cancer on his vocal chord and recovered from that quite well.

Last year he went into to hospital for a tracheostomyand ended up having a larynjectomy as they found another cancer.He had a horrendous experience which has affected him mentally.

At the begining of this year after a scan which we had to fight for they found the cancer inchis neck had come back.and is also in a lymph node .

For the last 12 months I have been his carer his wife his voice and I am exhausted.and I dont know where to go from here.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi,

I am caring for my dad who has terminal throat cancer and I am exhausted and it’s only been five weeks. So I can’t imagine how you feel. Are you getting any support? You are entitled to a carers assessment if you haven’t already had one, you can request a carers assessment through social services. I hope you manage to get the help you need.

• Hi fryn, I can tell from your words that you are physically and mentally exhausted. I agree with magic42, it's time to shout out loud that you need support. Your GPS, macmillan, are there any support groups like Maggies near you? I hope that by putting your feelings into words you feel just a little bit better, keep on posting and letting it all out. Hoping that today brings you some assurance and assistance, thinking of you xxx

Love is eternal
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you.I work 3 days a week so I have been told I am not eligible for carers allowance.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Needing friends

Thank you.

Yesterday was a better day 

My sister in laws came up with a visit to the cinema goving me a few hours break 

It was just what I needed.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi,

I will check about the careers allowance you have to care for someone over a certain amount of hours a week, but I can’t remember off the top of my head I will check, and let you know. 

Lisa