Dads prostate treatment plan changed??? Why?

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hello everyone. 

my father was diagnosed with aggressive prostate cancer and his children (myself 40, and my brother 38) are his only family. He’s not telling us very much which is really affecting my mental health as I’m constantly worrying and thinking the worse. I know he’s only trying to protect us.

my question is, he was originally meant to be having chemotherapy and then radiotherapy but now they have said they will no longer be doing the radiotherapy. would there be a reason for this? My worry is that it has got worse but he won’t tell us. He is also really suffering with his heart and I’m worried about that also. 
I work at the hospital so know there is very little information I can obtain due to gdpr and patient confidentially but I really need to know this answer or what I can find out if my dad will not allow us to come with him to hospital or even tell us what is really going on. 

all I keep doing is crying, I’m now off work with stress and I really don’t know what to do or who to turn to.

sorry for my ramblings, hoping someone can help 

• Hi Midlifemummy welcome to the forum. Firstly I am so very sorry to hear about your Dad and secondly how worried that you are. Sadly It is as you say up to your Dad to enable you to speak with the Consultant. Have you asked your Dad if he would be ok with that?  I don't know why they wouldn't give Radiotherapy but they wont give it unless its needed, so it may be that he doesn,t need this.

Im wondering,, given how you are feeling and how much this is affecting you, maybe its time to have a chat with Dad and tell him how having no information is leaving you feeling. Im certain that he would be so concerned if he knew that by trying  to protect you, he is actually maybe making things more difficult for you, if that makes sense? It may also be possible that  he is struggling with all that is happening himself and doesnt find it easy to talk but worth a try.

gail

Community Champion Badge