My sister has just been diagnosed with cancer

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hi everyone 

So not only am I new to this forum but I'm new to cancer and I have to ask is there an option button? 

My sister was diagnosed with stage 3c ovarian cancer 2 weeks ago and like the little pragmatic sister I am I have taken on the entire world! (Beacuse let's face it there is absolutely nothing I can do about the cancer) 

So here I am taking on the appointments referrals to wider services the finances and intercepting the woodwork family (you know those ones you only see when they want to be nosie) playing the full on hero, and I know I know I should be looking after myself and know my limitations but this is the bit I can control, the only bit I can actually help with.

So what am I lookomg for on here? Well I supose the same thing everyone else is.... other people going through the same thing that can offer kind words when I want to throw the towel in. 

I'm at the start of this and I can see that ots not going to be easy so help support advice are all welcome, and if I can offer the same in return then please know I will.

Thank you for having me x 

• Hi  

Sorry to hear about your sister and everything you and the wider family are going through. Taking on the carer role is not easy and sometimes it is hard to know what to do for the best for the one we love.

The best tip I could probably give it take all the help you can get, though sometimes I wonder what my wife's extended family do makes me wonder why they think that might be helpful. So glad I found both Maggies and Macmillan as sometimes I find the need to talk sense to people who get it - and that is the wonder on here.

I did a living with less stress course that really helped me - and by doing that I am more use to my wife than I would be as a broken wreck. In many ways cancer helped draw my wife and I closer together as we now talk more about what we need.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge