Childcare Support

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Just to introduce myself for the first time... My mum was diagnosed with Metastasis Breast cancer in March this year, it has since been discovered that aswell as many organs & bones it has also spread to her brain which has changed her diagnosis to terminal. She has had radiotherapy on the brain tumours & having chemotherapy to buy her more time, I honestly don't know how we are coping. She lives on her own and I  have two young children and a supportive husband who is doing his best to help me but he has a demanding job that at times, takes him away from home. We are having to fork out a fortune for child care during the summer holidays, it's costing us £50 per day for summer holiday club. I've looked in to seeing if we can get any financial support for child care but it seems we don't qualify. Even though he earns a good wage it is a lot to cover. Does anyone know of any avenues I could look at to get childcare supprt whilst I'm caring for my mum? Obviously I will do whatever I have to do for her but I'm feeling so torn between her & my children, they are having such a rubbish summer holiday, mostly being left at home all day to entertain themselves whilst hubby is working upstairs. Got major mum guilt but also get major daughter guilt if I'm not with my mum as she only has a few months left of her life. 

• Hi  

Sorry to hear about what you are all going through, it does sound very tough. I wonder if it might be worth talking to one of the benefit advisers on the the helpline to see if there is anything your mum or you might be eligible for.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge