Palliative care

• 1 reply
  • 45 subscribers

Hi , my mother in-law has recently been diagnosed with lung cancer which has spread to her brain. She has been transferred to community hospital for palliative care, after 1 night we have been told this is for only 2 weeks, and they are pushing for a care home. She has always been against care homes so we don't want to go down that route, do we have any options? Thanks in advance

• Hi Dotty2 and welcome  to the forum, I am so very sorry to hear what is happening for you right now, it sounds very challenging for you

I know that the hospital here are very much the same and people are being discharged from hospital maybe sooner than they should have or would have done had the covid situation with lack of beds not occurred. I can appreciate where you are coming from in trying to make your Mother in laws wishes a reality and that's important for you all as a family . I'm not sure what the options are, but I think you do need  a chat with either your mother-in-laws Consultant on the ward or ask for a more senior Manager to speak to and put your concerns to them.

I hope that you manage to get some answers and some resolution for you all it will be stressful enough without adding extra pressure like this for you all.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on and if you felt that it would be helpful, please pick up the phone and give the folks at Macmillan a call. 08088080000

Sending some hugs your way for now . x  

gail

Community Champion Badge