Where do I get help from?

• 4 replies
  • 46 subscribers

My mother has recently been diagnosed with 4b cervical cancer. We’re waiting for an appointment to go and discuss treatment options. 

she’s very weak and needs support with almost everything.  I’m trying to get practical help with bathing and dressing her in the mornings but seem to be going around in circles.

The hospital did an assessment before she left hospital and I’ve heard nothing. The Social Services “will be in touch” - in the meantime, I’m struggling.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thank you

• Hi  

Sorry to read about your mother and also about the on-going issues getting care sorted at home, I wish I could say this is unusual.

Have you tried talking to your mum's GP, they might be able to provide some suggestions and perhaps get some speed-up in social services approach.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• First stop is your GP. they have a lot of power in stuff like this and can make things happen. Sorry to ask, is 4b considered terminal? When someone is terminal you are given a goldline number to call and they are excellent. 

• Thanks, our GP has been amazing but I just have to chase everyone constantly, I might go back to him - thanks.

we’re going to see a consultant next week to discuss treatment options so there’s a glimmer of hope.

• I know what you mean. Wile my partner was in hospital we had a lot of info given to us, but when she came home (after finding out she was terminal) we had no contact from anyone apart from on the first day when someone phoned to say they would check on us in 2 weeks time. I felt so alone. sending you hugs x