Utterly lonely and scared.

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hi. My husband (45) was diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer in October and is currently halfway through an intensive chemo course. His consultant has told him twice that he can beat this but his chemo dr said 2-5 years. He's taking it all in his stride, but all I see is a man fading away and I'm terrified.  I have no parents turn to and don't get on with my older sibling. This wasn't in our plan when we met 24 years ago,  we were meant to grow old together and I don't want to have to live alone.

• Hi Hazel 7

a warm welcome to the community. Oh I just want to reach through the screen and  give you a huge hug. Life's too cruel sometimes.

I'm supporting my husband of 27 years through his stage 4 brain tumour journey so I can empathise with what you are going through to an extent.

He was first diagnosed in Sept 2020 and given 12-15 months. He's still here almost 29 months later. Over the months I've come to realise that timeframes are best guesstimates based on published averages. No one is average. Each of us are unique. A positive approach to this journey seems to definitely help so long may your husband continue to take it all in his stride.

This is a safe and supportive space so please reach out here anytime. There's always someone around to listen who gets it, someone to hold your hand and to offer that virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now though I'm sending you a huge hug and lots of positive energy. Stay strong. You are coping so much better here than you give yourself credit for. (You'll just need to trust me on that one)

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

ps....I'm scared too but we'll get there x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm