Reaction to treatment

• 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

My beloved wife Lorraine is being treated for kidney cancer with immunotherapy. All was going well as far as her tolerance was going and wee took a week away in Lanzarote. Unfortunately while there she developed extremely severe diarrhea and was beginning to go critical. I managed to get us back to the UK with help at the airports and on the plane. She is now in hospital having been admitted as soon as we landed and her cancer team are working hard to resolve the issue. She's on infusions of steroids and the immunotherapy is halted. The diarrhea is a severe reaction to the immunotherapy. I just pray that when the current situation is resolved that some form of immunotherapy can continue. It's extremely worrying.

• Hi  

Sorry to hear about what you have been going through, you did really well to get your wife back and hopefully the treatment for the side effects will sort things out and then look at what the next stage may be.

My wife's cancer is very different but we also had a big problem with the first treatment she had. Took a while to get that fixed but they did and then we tried a different - apparently gentler treatment and managed to make Janices's cancer stable - we have now been living with cancer for 7 years now and getting on really well. 

My wife always seemed to have things really together and I was all over the place, finally admitted I needed help and did a living with less stress course that really helped me.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Steve. It's positive messages like yours that i find really helpfull. I spoke with Lorraine's consultant today. In his words, when I git her to the hospital she was going critical, another day could have had fatal consequences.  That kind of focuses the mind. All's good though, she's recovering. My very best wishes to you and your wife.