Rights at work as a carer

• 3 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hello My husband has just been diagnosed with stage 3C lung cancer and is to start 6 weeks of chemo and radio therapy. I work 3 days a week and want to take my husband to all his treatments, do i have any rights at work for all the time off i will need or will i need to leave my job?

• Hello, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. I really hope you're coping okay.

My mum was diagnosed with Lung Cancer back in late June and I spoke to my boss about it and explained that I would need to attend all appointments with her (she wouldn't be able to get there alone and I of course want to be there to support) and so far he has been very understanding and flexible with me. I would definitely recommend speaking to your boss about this - is there the ability to work from home at all? 

Macmillan have some helpful advise on working while caring for someone with Cancer as well.

Love to you both x

• Hello Reeb

Thank you for your kind words. I will speak with my manager as I have discovered the company has flexible working for carers. I feel a bit more optimistic now as I think I'll need my job not just financially but for my own sanity, as you will be all too familiar how stressful this situation is.

Hope you and your mum are doing well.

Xx

• Hello,

Ah that's brilliant, I'm sure they will be more than understanding and I absolutely agree. As much as it is a lot to juggle working and caring for someone, you definitely need it to take your mind off everything and give you a little bit of distance for your own mental health. 

Thank you so much, always here if you need to talk.

Take care xx