Benefits for carers question ?

• 2 replies
  • 46 subscribers

I am very new to this forum and to this group but am needing to explore benefits that are available to us now that my wife has been diagnosed with a Terminal Brain Tumour.

We have been allocated funding for 4 carers a day to visit and they are really excellent but i work 40 hrs a week and am finding it difficult to cope.. my wife has been at home for around 2 weeks and she is awake multiple times during the night and needs cleaning and changing . The most we have been up in 1 night was 11 times and it is averaging around 3 - 4 times each night and lots each day. 

I am thinking for my own health and to care for my wife properly that i need to give up my job all together, Its only a minimum wage job but we do need the wages or at least benefits to cover it as much as possible..

I know i can get carers allowance but i think this is only £74 per week, can anyone advise if i have to give up work can i claim any other benefits to supplement the drop in money ?

Thanks in advance ? 

• Hi Mikeo64, what a horrid situation, have you been allocated a Macmillan nurse yet? My experience is that they can help you finding out what you are due, Attendance allowance seems one to be for you but they will know, the GP can refer you or ring a helpline number from this site. It seems to me you need nighttime help as well. You are right to think about yourself as well, are there friends that have offered to help? They mean it and it gives them a feeling of usefulness aas well as helping you. Hope this helps, it is a journey that tests us all

• Hi Mike, you can claim carers allowance and still work as long as you don't earn more then £130.00 per week. hope this helps.