Mum just diagnosed with bowel cancer

• 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi this is my first post

My mum has just been diagnosed with bowel cancer we are at the early stage of investigations, she will be going for her body scan on the 21st then we have a big meeting on the 25th, she booked for surgery on the 5th December. I have recieved this news when I am already exhursted from being a carer for my 21yr old son to had a life changing accident earlier this year and is now disabled pending further surgery. I am now torn as I want to be there for both them but just not sure how I am going to manage this 

• Hi

Sorry to hear about your mum and coming on top of your son's accident I am sure we can all see how difficult for you to manage everything you would like to do. Being a carer can be especially exhausting and it can be worth talking to carers uk to make sure you are getting all the support possible. I know I had to get help to bring me back to something sustainable and recognize I needed that if I would be any use to anyone. My GP is fantastic and that really helps because he helps to treat all 3 of us as a unit where when anyone breaks we all need help.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Steve 

Thank you for your supportive and friendly response it means a lot that people are out there dealing with the same, sometimes I get so isolated between work and caring. I will touch base with my gp and hope they are as supportive as yours.