Mum not eating much still wants to poo !

• 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi to all and best wishes . 

I’m wondering how often someone should poo if their food intake is very low . My mum is at home with me as her carer without a clue really . Just trying my best . 

She was sent home from hospital a couple of weeks ago suffering from an untreatable tumour near her oesophagas and liver . 

She occasionally wants to eat , when she does it might be a few tea spoons of  blended porridge and cupasoup for savoury stuff during the day again maybe 7 teaspoons . 

the thing is she says she wants to have a bowell motion but feels it won’t come out . The carers tell me that the occasion Malteser size bit comes out but not often . 

I guess my question is how often should mum be pooing considering how little she eats . 

thsnkyou for any advice . Everybody stay strong 

• Oh my, we are in the same position. Mum also has oesophageal cancer and is in palliative care. We are slaves to the non existent bowel movements and the commode as mum always seems to have wind/stomach cramps and wants to go despite eating less than a sparrow.  We have been using laxatives 3 times daily. 

we have had some success with the nurses and enemas producing a small amount that provides relief for a day or so, but haven’t really found a solution yet. So all I can offer is a shared experience and some sympathy.

Good luck!

• Thankyou for your reply . My mum sips warm water to help with her stomach pains . She has been having part of a sachet of laxido which seems to have helped a bit.  Having to take each days symptoms as they come . best regards